Linux Lab

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by dazza786, Mar 26, 2009.

1. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

edit: sorry i think this should be in the linux\unix forum =]

I'm curious about making a linux lab.. I've had experience here and there with linux and can say I know the general concept, some CLI commands, how the OS works with the hardware and its advantages of being a server... I'm failing to see how I can set up my own lab to coincide with real life situations.

I could install it as a user OS, but I can't see what it'd be used for as a majority of end user programs are built for win/mac. Or I could install it and install some server apps on there and then what... the apps are running... and they rarely fail lol. Is my limitation not knowing perl/c to an extent where i could use linux in a powerful manner?

Could somebody possibly point me in the right direction towards this one, not necessarily the cert (as i can go through the syllabus fine) just what i can use linux for.. to learn with..

I hope the above made sense... I just typed it out as it came into my head :P

thx

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  2. Metalstar

Metalstar Kilobyte Poster

I started with an openSUSE machine which I turned into a file server etc at home, that way I could learn to play with file/print servers, web servers and anything else I thought might show up in an office.

You could use it for anything really - in its retirement, the same box now serves as a PVR/Arcade Emulation machine for my living room :D

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network+
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

The applications are endless. Hack the planet ! :D

The OU have this :-

http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/bin/p12.dll?Q01C39

It covers PHP and linux web servers etc.

You could use linux for anything you like, desktop OS, NAS device, honeypot, filewall, directory, email server, web server, application server, embedded OS, HPC cluster, Render farm, database server, web proxy/cache, content filter, etc, etc.

The beauty of Open Source is you can do whatever you want with it pretty much.

4. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

well ive installed, set up and managed apache / mysql / svn / ircd / bncs / gameservers etc etc
    i know some php and some sql enough to get administrate stuff... but i seem to be hitting a progress wall... cos i cannot think of anything useful to learn.

im curious about shellscript and exploits etc
    does anyone have any pointers for the above?

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Not offering advice, but just to let you know, I did move this thread to the Linux/UNIX discussion forum as requested.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. John Neerdael

John Neerdael Nibble Poster

Try looking into ldap perhaps if you havent yet.

WIP: MCTS: 70-640
  7. Metalstar

Metalstar Kilobyte Poster

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network+
  8. Majic_Munky

Majic_Munky Bit Poster

Well there is always http://slashdot.org/ and http://www.securityfocus.com for general and security related news.

I subscribe to Linux Format magazine - they have LOADS of features on different applications and also usually have pretty comprehensive tutorials and work throughs. They recently had a feature on MythTV....that might be a nice project for you!

HTH

Certifications: BSc, A+, N+
    WIP: Lots!