Linux Certs?

Discussion in 'Linux+' started by Jellyman_4eva, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Jellyman_4eva

Jellyman_4eva Byte Poster

Hi again,

Thanks for your replies regarding my YAY post..!

My next cert on the list is Linux+ with the new objectives.. however there seem to be a multitude of books on this subject, with no clear book to choose from (Unlike A+ and Network+). There is only one book that is certified by CompTIA for the Linux+ 2005 objectives

Linux+ XK0-002 In Depth
    Thomson Course Technology

But I can not seem to find this book with the right publisher or consequently any reviews of it...

Any one who has done the Linux+ help?!

Also while I am on topic and thinking about it a lot... I was wondering if it was perhaps better to go for a Redhat cert or a Novell SUSE cert instead, or LPI? Do they do course materials etc??

Little bit confused with the direction for this one...

Edit (J): Moved to L+

Certifications: MCDST, MCITP-EDST/EDA/EA/SA/ MCSA 2K3/2K8, MCSE+M 2K3/2K8, ISA/TMG, VCP3/4, CCNA, Exchange, SQL, Citrix, A+, N+, L+, Sec+, Ser+, JNCIA-SSL, JNCIS-SSL
    WIP: Lots
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

How well versed are you on Linux? You might want to stick with the Linux+ cert as your first one unless you are really a Linux geek. All of the other certs you mentioned require a higher level of knowledge than "entry-level".

The Linux+ 2005 objectives are pretty new so not a lot of study materials have been written for it yet. The only LPI book that is completely current is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...0/sr=2-2/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_2/002-4012110-3089606

It has excellent reviews, but the LPI series are somewhat advanced so if you try it as your first Linux cert may be a bit more than a Linux newbie could chew.

Red Hat and Novell certs are vendor specific. Novell Press is the only source for their own certs as far as I know. Various publishers produce RHCT and RHCE study guides, but again these are not for the faint of heart.

Also, Novell and Red Hat certifications cannot be taken at *every single* VUE and Prometric testing center around. I live in Boise, Idaho and discovered that if I wanted to take a Novell Linux cert exam, the closest place I could take one is in Portland, Oregon which is about an eight hour drive away. Same thing with the Red Hat certs.

You might want to do some research on the various Linux certs including going to Red Hat and Novell directly to see what their requirements are.

I've started putting up some mock exam questions on our Linux+ forum here:

http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/f72-.html

These are pretty basic sorts of questions. See how you do in terms of answering them and how much work you need to do to discover the answers.

Now, if it turns out you are a total Linux guru who lives, eats, and breathes Linux and my assumptions all all for naught, then I sincerely apologize.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Jellyman_4eva

Jellyman_4eva Byte Poster

Hi thanks for replying!

Firstly allay your fears, I am no Linux guru! I am just someone who has installed it a few times, and played with it, got frustrated when it would not do something (Wireless on my laptop, followed by graphics issues, then binned it basically!).

However it is making head way around the world, and one of the guys I used to work with was well into it, and from him I saw its potential!

So I want to learn/get certified for it! But I was just wondering if the entry level certs for RedHat/SUSE/LPI were on the same level as Linux+ (And if they were I would go for one of them) or not?!

It looks as if Linux+ will be my cert of choice, and I may just go for the Comptia approved Linux+ book

Certifications: MCDST, MCITP-EDST/EDA/EA/SA/ MCSA 2K3/2K8, MCSE+M 2K3/2K8, ISA/TMG, VCP3/4, CCNA, Exchange, SQL, Citrix, A+, N+, L+, Sec+, Ser+, JNCIA-SSL, JNCIS-SSL
    WIP: Lots
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Keep in mind there is about a billion different sources for information about Linux out there including Linux itself. You can use the man and info pages in any Linux distro to find out more about utilties and commands. They aren't always the most user friendly but they are a start.

For searches, I start with http://www.google.com/linux .

Also The Linux Documentation Project at: http://www.tldp.org/ is quite good.

I hate to admit going to another forum but if I really need to ask a Linux question I can't get answered anywhere else, I go to: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/index.php?s= and bug the gurus there.

I'm trying to revive the Linux+ forum here at CF since it's been in disuse for quite some time so please feel free to post any of your Linux questions there and take a crack at the "Random Questions" I've been posting. I'm up to six and still counting.

I'm just trying to work my way through the Linux material myself. Phoenix is the real expert here (at least noone else admits knowing much about Linux). Hope some of this helps.

5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member