Linux Certified Admins

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by simongrahamuk, Aug 8, 2005.

1. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Just wondering to myself how many people (Specifically Linux Admins) have Certs in Linux, and what they are?

I'm asking because a lot of the certifications are geared towards Microsoft or Cisco, or perhaps even just general i.e Comptia.

People are always complaning about having to upgrade their certs to the latest versions, but what do Linux admins do? Other than people I know who manage Linux and have the Linux+ or the RHCE what else is their out there? and what do you do in terms of 'proving' your skills with Linux? :unsure

2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Besides the CompTIA Linux+ and the RHCT/RHCE certs, there are these:

http://www.lpi.org/

http://www.novell.com/training/certinfo/clp/

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I just use it
    employers savvy enough to want a linux admin, aren't really demanding proof, if you cant use linux its pretty damn obvious :)

never bothered certing in it, but contemplating a RHCE course at the BSOC

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Thats what I thought. A lot of people just use it and become 'experts' in it.

So here's another question then: Why not simply learn to implement and manage a Linux network and forget about having to persue cert after cert?

I've stopped going for certs at the minute because I'm doing academic stuff, but why should I opt to go back to certs when I'm finished, other than to make me look good to prospective employers?

5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Although certification programs exist for Linux, they don't seem to serve the same purpose as they do for Microsoft. Microsoft uses the certification industry as another income stream. It fits in very nicely with their habit of upgrading their software every so many years. In order to keep current, MCPs/MCSAs/MCSEs/etc...have to keep taking courses and paying to upgrade their certs. Naturally, at least some of them will by texts from MS Press. Somewhere in there, the MS cert is supposed to attest to the tech's ability to work with their software.

Linux isn't centralized as an entity the way MS software is so their certification offerings are more diffuse plus the entire philosophy towards certification is different. People who already know UNIX/Linux and can demonstrate this can probably get jobs without a set of Linux certs added to their names. Both Red Hat and Novell have created their own proprietary certification programs but they'll probably never be as popular as the MS cert machine. I don't have anything to back up my opinion but I'd tend to agree that Linux certifications are probably used more by relative Linux newbies who need to establish their Linux qualificaitons.

Of course *somebody* must be making money off of Linux certs. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

has anyone every taken the RHCE or RHCT for that matter...? im looking at linux+ after my A+ so i can get into linux admin possibly..

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  7. superkarimo

superkarimo Bit Poster

zimbo,

it maybe worth having a look at a large downloadable document RUTE a Linux user manual which goes a long way to explaining many things about Linux and is meant to cover a large part of the information needed for Linux admin certification
    link to a HTML verswion of RUTE as below . There is also a PDF version
    http://www.linuxman.com.cy/rute/rute.html

Worth checking out if you keen to look at Linux

Certifications: City & Guilds diplomas in C,C++ and VB
    WIP: ???
  8. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

if we open sourced the linux exams maybe i could check the answers before i go into the exam, to check for spelling errors and inaccuracys ofcourse!

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  9. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

That would eliminate those nasty little braindumpers! :p