Linux Certification

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by Alan Clinch, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Alan Clinch

Alan Clinch Bit Poster

Hi

I am very interested in Linux and open source in general. I am in the middle of doing my A+ certification and I plan to do N+ next.

After this I fancied going for Linux certifications starting with Linux+. Thing is I dont work in IT at the minute and I seriously doubt linux+ would get me an IT job. I would obviously like to advance from Linux+ to other Linux certs but not sure of the best path as they always say "should be working in the industry".

Im not afraid to get my hands dirty and do some serious work to get the Linux qualifications and I have old pc's I can practice on. Dont know if this will be enough though.

Anyone any ideas on where to start?

Im not a linux newbie but not far of it.

Certifications: A+, DCSE
    WIP: MCSE 70-290
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Linux adoption in the enterprise is becoming more and more common, as companies and organisations struggle to pay the bills for IT. Having something that costs next to nothing is very attractive to the bean counters.

Whilst you are right that the Linux+ cert probably won't get you a job, the ability to administer it could well do.

As others have said before, Windows Admin's are now common place, however to give yourself that extra edge in getting employed Linux skills are definately something that you should learn.

The key difference (other than costs) between the Windows world and the Linux world is that the Linux world is no where near as certification driven, it is the ability to use it that counts more.

8)

3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. unemployedstudent

unemployedstudent Byte Poster

Thanks, I'll have a gander. :D

Certifications: BAISA(hons) Degree, ECDL.
    WIP: A+, CompTIA N+, CCNA