Linux bopt problem

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by Raffaz, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Does anyone know anything about linux?
    Ive burned a boot disk, but when i try to boot off it i get isolinux : disk error 10, AX = 4280, drive EF.

Things ive tried so far

Burned to 2 different types of media, burned at slowest speeds, tried 2 different burners, tried 2 different pcs. Im busy downloading the .ISO from a different mirror in case thats the cause. Anyone got any other suggestions? Cheers

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Rather than reinventing the wheel, I'll just post the link to the thread at LinuxQuestions.org that has (hopefully) the solution:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=32005

P.S. First step you take after getting an error message is to Google the message. Chances are, you aren't the first person to ever come across the problem. :wink:

BTW, I moved your thread from Software to the Linux/UNIX forums. Seemed more appropriate. Cheers.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Raffaz

Yeah, ive already tried all the solutions mentioned in the post before i posted the question, just thought someone would have been to shed more light on this. Since the original post i have tried another 2 download mirrors from different sites, also the hash number checks out. So im guessing its something to do with the BIOSes on both computers.

4. Raffaz

Also worth mentioning that im having no problems booting my ubuntu live CD, so im totally stumped.

5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

That is odd. However, since you can boot from the ubutnu live CD, you can also install from that same CD and have ubuntu as a permanent resident on your hard drive, if that's your goal.

6. Raffaz

I should have clarified a bit better mate. Ive been having a bit mess about with CEH, and theres a website with tools for it. Its linux based but i cant get it to boot, dont know if that helps any.

7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

No worries. Quite awhile back I had the same problem with a Linux-based security product. Both ffreeloader and I downloaded it (we live in different states), burned the disk from the ISO and the bloody thing refused to boot. Our conclusion was that the people who put it together were a dodgy lot and not to be trusted.

8. Raffaz

Mmmm, thats a possibility. Although they are listed in the CEH book, so i would have thought they were reputable.

Ah well, looks like il have to install linux and run the tools that way, unless there is a way to make/run a live CD and use the tools. Any ideas on that?

9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

11. Raffaz

Cheers for the links, gonna have a look now. :)