Linux any good?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Juelz, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Having trouble with Windows (long story) Im thinking of just getting Linux tbh, I was wondering are there any serious negatives in having a Linux OS? would I still be able to run Windows in VM? I'm really not fussed about my laptop tbh, its just for surfing the internet and watching videos and run the od VM here and there when required so I wont be installing anything like Photoshop.

2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Linux as a desktop replacement is more than adequate, Ubuntu is a decent OS and the use of Wine can help you use a large number of native Windows apps inside the OS without using a hypervisor.

Failing that, you have the various Ubuntu clones (Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Mint etc).

The only thing you won't really be able to do with Linux is play DX10 - 12 games really, there may also be some apps that you miss but it's easily something you can do for a couple of months to get the experience.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

would I need to install new drivers though for all the device on the system in order for them to work with the new OS?

4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

That's going to depend on the distro and whether you have any unusual devices on there.

The best thing to do would probably be to take a test drive, most of the distros give you the option of booting from USB or DVD and test driving the OS before installing it.

I know that when I had Ubuntu installed (before Windows 8.0 came out) it pretty much found all my devices (including Nvidia graphics cards) and I didn't have any issues with drivers. I actually had more issues with a Hackingtosh than I did with Linux.

Linux as an OS has come a long way from the days of just pure command line and the fact that you're coming in with a fresh view on Linux is great because you're not biased against the likes of Gnome, KDE etc, just pick the UI you like and get on with it so to speak.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    Juelz likes this.