LinOra

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by tripwire45, Aug 6, 2003.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Life is funny sometimes. This may come to nothing, but it was so odd, I thought I'd mention it. I was doing a collection route for my postal slave job today...it's where I drive a two-ton truck on a route, collecting mail from mailboxes and businesses...and I happened to drive into a business park near my home. I was drivng by some offices on my way to collect from a mailbox and I saw the familiar Linux penguin associated with the word "LinOra".

Intrigued, and with a few minutes on my hands, I popped into the office and said: "Excuse me but...". The fellow...apparently the owner, seemed more than happy to answer my questions, listen to the brief overview of my life and my pursuit of a career in IT and was willing upon my request, to give me his business card.

Like I said, it'll probably come to nothing...but I do this to every even vaguely IT business I encounter in my travels. Those of you who, like me, are pursuing a first-time job...or any job in IT, I encourage you to do the same. Maybe it'll come to nothing...but you never know when a chance conversation will turn into opportunity.

Just for the heck of it, here's the link to linora http://www.linora.com Apparently Linux is bigger here in River City than I'd realized.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Nice approach, Trip - wish I had your bottle !

Keep us posted ....(like you need me to tell you that !)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

It's funny what wearing the blue postal person shirt does for you. I end up saying and doing things that I'd be too shy to do dressed in regular street clothes.

True story (and way off topic). In my former life, I was a counselor. When I was taking a class in grad school, one of my instructors told a story about a former student who was interning at a local counseling center. The intern said that she was having trouble gaining confidence as a therapist. She was basically shy and had a tough time assuming the "expert" role and she wished she could find a way to put her "counselor's hat" on. The instructor told her to go out and get a hat, dub it her "counselor's hat" and wear it whenever she did her intern counseling. She thought it was a ridicuolus idea but the next week, she told the instructor that she'd purchased a little lapel pin she wears in her counseling sessions. The pin is of a small "hat". It seemed to do the trick because she lost her shyness when conducting therapy.

Sometimes you just need to trick yourself into believing you're someone different than you are. Then you can do what needs to be done.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Good words, Trip

I chat with the top brass when delivering fruit&veg to the poshest hotels, etc at work, but if I met them in the street when off duty, its head down and look the other way !

Confidence is a strange beast, is it not ???

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity