Linksys WRT54G

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pheonicks56, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Pheonicks56

Pheonicks56 Kilobyte Poster

Well after about 5 years of use and abuse I think my router pooped out on me yesterday. I went to bed and it was working fine, then the next morning I only had local connection. I checked all possibilities, I resest the modem and router, tried hardwiring the laptop into router, tired same with desktop. I tried firmware upgrades, tried restoring factory defaults. The only thing that got my internet connection back up was wiring the modem directly to the NIC. So I can rule out everything BUT the router at this point. So I ended up buying a new D-Link that comes in a combo with a free adapter. Hopefully in a few weeks I'll be up and wireless again.

Certifications: BSIT, AAIT, A+
    WIP: Network+
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

What a shame the good old WRT54G bit the dust. Though i can understand the spec on the D-Link you linked to is good, personally, and this is after using and supplying D-Link's offerings since 2003. I am well and truly over them.

Good luck, though, hopefully this model will prove me wrong.

I trust you got the A2, the one with the blue LEDs?

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

The WRT54G were great bits of kits, tried other manufacturers but always went back to Linksys (for home use) :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Sco0t

Sco0t Byte Poster

What are you's using the now for your routers in your home?

Certifications: Bsc Net/Sys Support, HND Tech Support
  5. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Yup, was a Linksys Partner for some years - great kit. Still using an SRX200 at home.

Also like Billion and Draytek.

Likewise have always found D-Link a little lacking though specs are good. Best of luck with it !

BroadbandBuyer usually have good stock and prices for kit if anyone's looking.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

WRT54G is the nuts - best home/SOHO router ever built. I've installed more than 20 of them at various places - all flashed with OpenWRT, DD-WRT or Tomato. The best thing Linksys ever did was allow the router to be flashed with third-party firmware - you get a 600 quid router for 40 notes! I've still got three of them in reserve ready to rock in case mine goes down at home - I've had it running for four years solid without even a peep of discontent but I know it'll happen sooner or later :(

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  7. Sco0t

Sco0t Byte Poster

Selling any :D

8. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

LOL - well THAT didn't take long! :biggrin

Seriously - no I'm not seeling any, sorry. I'm keeping them because the revs I have are as rare as rocking-horse ****. You can still find other versions that are compatible with third party firmware, but they're not easy to come by and I've noticed less and less of them on EBay lately

9. Sco0t

Sco0t Byte Poster

Hah, worth a try eh. What's the best price your seeing for them on eBay?

10. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I love the WRT54G as well and hands down probably the best router I've ever installed and used!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  11. aknot

aknot New Member

Just on a side issue, I dont know if you leave it on all night but its a very bad habit, Fire Safety, Use of electric (save the planet) and also IP leasing.

Its a pain when they go pop though, luckily Virgin Media (my isp) like to give away routers if you ask nicely :D

Certifications: C&G Pt 1&2 IT. 'now going for A+'
  12. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hey zeb, which are the ones that you have?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  13. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Couple of 2.2 and a 3.1. Two of them have DD-WRT on, the other has Open-WRT (White Russian)

14. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Zeb do you play poker?

your comment saying "wrt54g is the nuts" made me think you do lol....

@aknot, i always leave mine on as overnight that is when i do any big downloads, i imagined having router on all time was common practice...

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  15. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Ha! Busted!

Yep, been playing cards since I was about five. Started with brag, then moved on to stud, have been almost exclusively hold 'em for about 15 years now though.

Just wish I could get the hang of online play - the low limit tables are full of eejits who play ridonculous hands so there's no chance of playing properly, whilst I clam up at the higher limit tables and play too conservatively. I'm a pretty good player IRL - my brother is better though. He could easily make a living at it.

16. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

I'm the opposite - started out playing online, but don't get enough time to improve my live play. online is good cos you just need a spare hour to hop on and play some cash.

I know what you mean about the eejits, but from what i hear they're kicking about on most levels up to the big daddy limits! just gotta have patience and allow them to hang themself

easier said than down mind you lol. Be good if there was a few others from here who played, could have a little certforums private tourney?

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  17. aknot

aknot New Member

Just like any electrical item it can develop a fault, I would hate to come home and find my house a pile of ashes just for the sake of a download, its a tad risky.

Not because they catch fire on a regular basis but its that 1 in a million chance, Also I dont know what my home insurance policy says about leaving stuff on whilst out, mind you if you have the router on for downloading then your PC is on and they do go up in smoke.

Me, I personally turn everything off when I can as its a waste of electricity if its doing nowt, for me I like to release my IP aswell.

8)

Certifications: C&G Pt 1&2 IT. 'now going for A+'
  18. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

it wont release your WAN address - normally, they are leased for around 8 days or so, and then released if not used after that time, but then i depends on the ISP aswell

19. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

If I understand you right zeb, the versions that you have are the best models to have. I take it that with the later versions they've screwed with the hardware and you can't 'upgrade' them with other firmware?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685