Linksys WRT54G third-party firmware

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zebulebu, Aug 14, 2006.

1. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Hey folks

Anyone else got one of these little beauties?

I bought one when they first came out, and flashed it with Hyper-WRT straightaway. Its been up and running for me for two years non-stop, with absolutely no problems.

However, I've outgrown the limited logging capabilities offered by WallWatcher and want to move to a proper SNMP-based logging system. Unfortunately, HyperWRT doesn't support SNMP 'natively' and I have heard pretty grim things about the stability of the SNMP addon for it.

I'm therefore reluctantly considering switching to either open-WRT or DD-WRT (I refuse to use Sveasoft because of the attitude of the turd who distributes it)

Has anybody here got any experience of running SNMP under these? Specifically I'm looking for stability and basic SNMP functionality rather than bells and whistles - I'd like to be able to do some bandwidth monitoring using MRTG or MRTG and need to retain full syslog capability.

Any reports would be greatly appreciated :biggrin

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I got way sidetracked reading your link Zeb :eek:
    Bump!!

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

I've had a GL sitting next to me for about 2 weeks, awaiting the call of duty to the network. However, the Netgear is still humming, and I don't really require too much functionality. At least until the CMS that I have running on Ubuntu is properly setup.

Regardless, I researched both before I bought it, and was similarly indecisive with my choice as well.

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  4. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

I have one tried the firmware change as i wanted to use it as a bridge but never got it to work properly

First time i flashed it the thing wouldnt work and i was left with a duff router until i found a page on the web about opening it up and shorting a contact inside to reset it and then installed the original firmware

if anyone has knows how to get it to work as a bridge / repeater with this firmware i am all ears as they say :biggrin

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100
  5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Which firmware did you use? Hyper-Wrt, DD-Wrt, Sveasoft, Open-Wrt or something else?

Not sure that all of them have the functionality - I'm pretty sure Hyper-Wrt (my current firmware) doesn't but, as I've never wanted to do it, I can't be 100% sure.

Let me know what firmware you're running and I'll look into it.

PS: I was ecstatic when I found this link detailing which pins to short to resurrect these little beauties - I've managed to raise three out of five from the dead using this method - which isn't bad at all.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em