Link outlook to excel

Discussion in 'Software' started by Rob1234, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

Hi,

I am using outlook 2003 and excel 2003. I want to create a new task sheet and when people enter information in to the task sheet it is saved to an excel document but I do not know how to do this. Also I am using Exchange 2003.

Thanks.

Certifications: A few.
  2. Ossian

Ossian Bit Poster

You will need to learn VBA and script it.

The code would execute when someone adds a task item and the pseudocode would be something like this:

Open Excel Object
    Open spreadsheet file
    Repeat
    Read item from task form
    Write item to cell
    Until no more items
    Save spreadsheet
    Close connection to Excel
    Close (and save) task form

Google gives several examples to create a task from Excel, so it should be possible to reverse engineer the code e.g. http://en.allexperts.com/q/Excel-1059/sending-emails-tasks-Excel.htm

Good Luck!
    Tom

Certifications: MCT, MCSE/A, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP, Sec+
    WIP: Not sure....
  3. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

so different people are saving info on to the same xls sheet?
    can you not place the xls sheet on a share instead? of does this have to involve Outlook?

4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I was wondering why you needed it in .xls format?

However if you are using Exchange with Outlook, you can create a new Public Folder that contains task items.

To do this:
    Open Outlook -> Select Folder List -> Right CLick "All Public Folders" -> Create New Folder
    Give it a name and make sure that Folder Contains: Task Items, Click OK

You may be able to do something with that. I offer that as an alternative cause if you use a .xls file on a shared area only one person can access it at a time and may cause problems.

Good luck finding exactly what you need :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

I am going to do that but it is going to be used for people to book IT equipment out and I thought that they could use a task item to do that then the information they entered in to the task item could be saved to an Excel spreadsheet. Also I want to make it so that equipment can not be double booked. The fact that only one person can access the .xls file should not be a problem as we are a small IT team and only one person will probably be in charge of it.

Certifications: A few.