Limiting access via RDP W2K3

Discussion in 'Software' started by HTF, Sep 12, 2009.

1. HTF

HTF Byte Poster

Hi,

1. Is there any way to block RDP connections that I could connect only from a specific computers in windows server 2003, something like on ISA server where I can set from which PC I can remotly connect to the server. I've looked into terminal manager but I couldn't find. I know that I can change the scope in the firewall (btw is it to use with singel IPs or I need to specify whole range from which I can connect) but are there any setting directly on terminal manager?

2. How to change the port of remote desktop on ISA server?

Regards
    Sebastian

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
    Certifications: A+
  2. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

You normally, allow only certain Users to access Remote Desktop rather than certain computers.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

RDP uses port 3389. Block this on the clients firewall. Probably a better way but this will do the trick. Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. HTF

HTF Byte Poster

Thx for reply

Certifications: A+
  5. DC Pr0Mo

DC Pr0Mo Kilobyte Poster

If you want to change the port number that the actual ISA server will listen for remote deskop, then you’ll need edit the following register key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\TerminalServer\WinStations\RDP-Tcp\PortNumber

Double click this and set it to the new port number you want (Port number is in Hexadecimal) d3d = 3389.

Or if your wanting to connect to Machines behind the firewall you can create a publishing rule to publish certain IP's on a specific port, which will then be routed internally on the default port, i.e publish computer1 for protocol RDP on port 9999, users types ISASERVER:9999 to connect to computer1.

Certifications: MCDST | BSc Network Computing | 365 Fundamentals