Licensing issue with 2000 TS

Discussion in 'Software' started by madman045, Jul 18, 2007.

1. madman045

madman045 Kilobyte Poster

A client of mine has a Windows 2000 Terminal Server, originally it was connected to a NT4 DC and they had no issues with regards to logging into the Terminal Server, but now they have a 2003 R2 Standard Server, they have the issue when trying to connect via RDP, about an error with the licensing protocol

They have 45 CALS on the 2003 box which is more than their current user numbers, I was under the impression the server would use these as its basis for licensing?

We have spoken to the company who manages the terminal server and they advise that there is nothing wrong with the server.

Can anyone point in the right direction as to where i should be looking or what i can change to fix this as its becoming annoying now.

Thanks

Andy

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, PRINCE2 Foundation, VCA-DCV & VCA-DT
    WIP: MCSA 2008, VCP5-DCV, ITIL V3
  2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Can you post the exact error message?

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. madman045

I certainly can

[​IMG]

For some reason the forum wont display it

4. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Is the TS configured to point at the DC for the Terminal Server licenses? Has this ever worked since the new DC got installed? :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Try deleting the MSLicensing registry key and rebooting - it should be regenerated when you restart. In my experience, this often resolves many licensing issues on clients.

EDIT - oops - just realised, the actual location of the reg key might help :D

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSLicensing

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  7. madman045

ok, can someone in english explain how the licensing is set correctly?

Server 2003 R2 - 45 Cals with 45 users logging into the domain for File, Print & Email

They then RDP on the TS (win2k Server) and log into the domain again with the same credentials to access their business application

Now I understand the TS will use the domains licensing being 2000, however do they need to double up on their licenses?

Thanks

8. Sparky

TS cals are completely different from user CALs mate.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/techinfo/overview/termservlic.mspx

The TS cals may be installed on a different server from the actual TS itself.

Going back to my original question, did this work before the Domain Controller upgrade? If so it looks like you need to reinstall the TS licenses on the Domain Controller and point the Terminal server there for licenses. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  9. madman045

It worked before as the previous server was NT4 and that anything worked with it as it seems the licensing was switched off on the TS :eek:

10. Sparky

How many connections does the TS support just now? If it throws an error after 2 connections are made (on the 3rd connection) then it looks like there is no TS licensing configured.

11. ajs1976

ajs1976 Byte Poster

In an NT 4.0 domain, the TS Licensing can be installed on a 2000 member server, ex. the TS server itself. When you bring in a 200x Domain controlller, TS Licensing needs to be installed on the domain controller. Is TS Licensing installed on the Domain Controller? Has it been activated and the TS CALs moved to it?

If it is a TS Licensing issue, changing the MS Licensing in the client registry may help temporarily. The client will get a new temp license, but after the temp license expires the issue will return.

Certifications: MCSE, CCEA, Sec+, L+, N+
    WIP: 2008, CAG, or CCENT (not sure)