Let me introduce myself..

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by waynem, Jul 1, 2004.

1. waynem

waynem New Member

Hi everyone,

Think I'll introduce myself!

I'm an Electronic Engineer considering a new challenge in the field of IT.
    The Electronics industry has declined and changed so much in the last few years that challenges are few and job security stress is high. :biggrin

Personal interest and the flexibility of an IT qualification has made me consider the plunge of working to an MCSE qualification. The motivation is the challenge of a new career, personal growth and quality of life generally - not necessarily money :)

My career has exposed me to many fields of computing/IT but formal qualifications are none-existant. I'm hoping to hot-tail it through the NITLC course and make the move as soon as possible, no matter how lowley the job position; its likely my current job may go in the new year! :ohmy

If this plan makes me sound a few sandwiches short of a picnic, all info is appreciated!

Cheers!

Wayne

Certifications: Absolutley none.
    WIP: MCSE
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Welcome mate, good luck on the MCSE track, hope we can help you!
    is it the 2000 or 2003 track?

Glad you found us, hope you find us useful :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. waynem

waynem New Member

I've been planning this change for a while (before the 2003 track was available) and I have all the 2000 Microsoft Books and some self-test software.
    I'll probably go for the 2003 track though, just because it will be more current. Do you know how employers view each track ? I assume 2000 Server installations are far more numerous than 2003 Installations. Are the differences between the two refinements or a complete rework ?
    I've come very close to sitting the 70-210 exam, but have decided a more structured approach to study is sensible. It may be slower, but help in enforcing know-how.

How possible is it (assuming motivation and computing background aren't issues) to get to the MCSA stage in, say 6-7 months ?

See, I'm FULL of questions... :D

4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

MCSA could be doable in 6 - 7 weeks if you put your mind and heart to it
    but i think you are setting yourself more attainable schedules which is good :P
    (I dont have a job atm so i have too much time on my hands lol)

MCSE2000 track may server you better in a support role, as yes it will be more widely implemented
    and yes the update is just a refinement of knowledge with a handful of major changes

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  5. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Hi there waynem good to see you.

No problems mate you just ask away :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  6. waynem

waynem New Member

Cheers guys!

A career change is a daunting prospect, but its excellent to know you have the support of this forum..

A little gem in the quagmire that is the internet :biggrin

Wayne M

7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

That's why we're here, Wayne ! A warm welcome to CertForums - hopefully we can answer at least someof your questions.

As for MCSA in 6-7 months, although I'm no shining example, but with your commitment, it shouldn't be a problem.

Good luck, however you choose to proceed. :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  8. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Welcome aboard waynem, take a good look around the site and find a relevant forum then ask away.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Hi Waynem. Welcome to certforums. I'd say you've found the right place to begin your journey. The MCSA is doable in 6 to 7 months but I would like to ask a question here...how much experience have you had with the nuts and bolts of Windows 2000/XP and Windows 2000/2003 Server operating systems? Frankly, I think either track is valid and I think both operating systems will be around for awhile. It might be more straightforward to focus on the one you have the most knowledge of. Also, if you decide on the XP/2003 track, it's not like this would make you incapable of working on 2000 systems. They're not so different. Our good friend Phoenix has a background in both NT and 2000 and I can tell you that this background is helping him a great deal in his 2003 studies.

Career changer, huh? Gee, that sounds familar. After a 20 year career in psychology and social work, I went for another degree in computer network support with a four year "layover" with the postal service. Since electrical engineering isn't quite as big a leap, I imagine you'll do quite well. Please feel free to browse the various forums and ask what you'd like. We've got a good talent base here (myself excepted, of course) :biggrin and I think we'll be able to help out. Good luck on the plan.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  10. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Welcome to the forum Wayne. Chat's are on thursday nights (tonight) so if you turn up you'll be more than welcome.

BTW don't worry about being a few sandwiches short, some around here are missing the picnic basket too.[​IMG]

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  11. waynem

waynem New Member

Trip,

To be honest, hands on experience of any of the Server products is nil :(.
    I have a four PC network at home, 2 linux, one XP Pro and an XP Home installation. I'm aware of the gulf of difference between being, say, a power-user and an administrator. At my place of work I was elected to be responsible for our workplace network when the administrator was ill/holidays. It didn't take long to realise I really know so little about REAL administration or support.

My jobs have had me programming and scripting, looking after CAD installations (on Solaris and Linux machines), web development etc. I am au fait with computers, having worked with them for my whole career, but not too naive to realise I need to start at the beginning. I guess I have a degree of comfort that others may not, but I'm not assuming anything! :biggrin

Nugget,

May just drop by tonight. In for a penny, in for a pound so they say!

waynem

12. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Hi Wayne

Welcome to Certforums, glad you found your way here :) Good luck with the course :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  13. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

welcome waynem....hope you enjoy ur time with us here....quite a family we r I would say...anyone else agree with me? no I didnt think so either...well anyway hope you find your way ok waynem...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  14. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Hello again, Wayne. I brought up the experience issue because it makes it a lot easier (well, MS tests are never really easy) to take and pass the exams if you've laid hands on Server software and are familiar with how it works. This is especially true because some of the test items on the exams are somewhat interactive server interfaces. Nothing as sophisticated as what Cisco has going on, but you'll need to know what certain interfaces look like and how they work.

I imagine your program will include a computer lab and plenty of hours working in an actual server/client network environment. That's what will really help you. These exams are very difficult to pass by simply reading a text. Still, with your background, it sounds like you'll be fine. I had to learn computers as a whole new discipline during my career changeover. ;-)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  15. r4merlin

r4merlin Nibble Poster

Welcome, there seem to be a good bunch of people here all trying to achieve the same, so they are all helpful should you get stuck.