Legal Notice text

Discussion in 'Software' started by zebulebu, Dec 10, 2006.

1. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Folks

I'vm playing areound with setting a Legal Notice on my home LAN, in preparation for when i have to do it for real at work (i.e. once the Compliance trolls start moaning about the current one)

The GPOs are no problem - I've set LegalNoticeText and LegalNoticeCaption properly in the default domain policy and applied it and all is fine.

However, No matter what i try to do I cannot for the life of me get the damn thing formatted properly. I've followed to KB articles which deal with editing the actual registry settings which can be used to display the Legal Notice Text (you have to edit the reg value in hex mode to enter the characters necessary to create a new paragraph (0D000A00) but, even though I know I've done this properly (the paragraph characters show up in the text once I've added them) I just can't get them to show up in the logon banner.

Any pointers? Chances are I;ve tried most links that you'll throw my way but if there's something that I've overlooked, or someone has first-hand experience of what might be causing the issue, please let me know

Cheers!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Are you sure you are using zero's and not the letter 'O' ?

Just a thought :rolleyes:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

LOL - you know me too well already Pete...

No, I've checked that - after previous experience of doing just that...

4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Zeb sorry cant help - but from a learning point of help what you talking about? :oops:

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Zimbo, we are talking about legal notices which pop up in front of the user before they log in.

Here is an example taken from another forum I frequent..

http://forums.windowsitpro.com/web/...d=74006&highlight_key=y&keyword1=legal+notice

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. Steep

Steep New Member

You can easily set legal notice with Scriptlogic's Desktop Authority (scriptlogic.com). This tool has special Legal Notice object. We use it to warn users from any unauthorized actions.

7. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I could - if I wanted to pay for the privilege of being able to do something that I can just as easily do in the registry for nowt.

:biggrin

8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Good lord! I can't believe that people actually pay for that functionality.

Hey, Zeb, do you need a program that can be used to reset users' passwords? I'm selling it for the low low low price of £999. :deal

Any other takers? :thumbleft

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Nah thanks - I've got hardware that takes care of that for me. They're called 'helpdesk operatives' and they get the job done most of the time (although they occasionally require a RAM upgrade in the form of hefty cups of coffee...)

10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You can use VB script as well, put the following in notepad and save as a .vbs file.

msgbox "hello world", vbinformation

Use it as a regular logon script in AD and it should run when the user logs onto the domain. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Um, Zeb? You're not forgetting the quotes are you?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685