Leaving the armed forces to start a career in IT

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Vdubster187, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Vdubster187

Vdubster187 Bit Poster

Hi all,

I am due to leave the Royal Navy soon and I was looking for some advice regarding my transition into the civilian IT world. I have experience with hardware/software problems and basic networking issues, over the last year I have gained Comptia A+ and MCP(xp config) though self study. Currently studying N+ and looking at sitting the ICND1 later on in the year. I am very keen on promotion and I want to hit the ground running when I get my first IT support role. My questions are do I continue to gain as many certs as I can before I leave or do I focus on 1st line support more than networking? I have attached a copy of my CV to this thread it would be greatly appreciated you could review it and perhaps give me some pointers.

Your help is greatly appreciated

Regards

Eddie

Attached Files:

Certifications: A+ (2009), MCDST, NVQ2 IT, CCNA, CCNA (S) MCP (70-290) McAfee NSP
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Welcome :)

You shouldn't go for any high level certs as you will end up being over certified for your experience level which can be worse than having no certs at all.

The general premis is that for getting into IT you should do the A+,N+ and MCDST and not do anything else until you have experience as the basic idea of certifications is to back up your on the job experience (not in a home lab or college assignment).

You should start looking for entry level jobs now and progress. No one really walks into a networking job regardless of their certs if they have no experience, so you need to build some experience up before progressing.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Eddie, thank you for your service. Although I am in the US, it is my opinion that we are on the "same side", so service to your country is just as valuable as service to mine. :)

You say you want to hit the ground running when you get your first IT support role. My opinion is that you're ALREADY in your first IT support role. ;)

I wouldn't say you should "gain as many certs as you can"... you should gain certifications that are relevant to what you have experience doing. Certifications should reflect what you've already done, not what you want to do. From the looks of things, you've got quite a bit of experience already! :)

I would recommend that you get a job that is similar to (or better than) what you're currently doing, preferably one that will allow you to work with technologies at the next experience level. For example, it looks like you're already doing server admin work. Therefore, you could try to get a civilian server admin job where you can assist with Cisco router administration (thereby getting you the experience to tackle the ICND1 and ICND2 exams). If you're already doing that, get a job similar to that.

All that said, take what you can get. The employment situation is rough out there, but your experience should give you a nice advantage... and your military service and certifications should make you even more attractive to employers.

Welcome to the forum. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Psst... GBL... check out his CV. ;)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. zet

zet Byte Poster

Oh wow, you have quite an impressive CV and much respective for working in the navy. I would suggest that you work on your opening paragraph, far too many commas and the bullet points need to be closer together.

Certifications: BSc, MSc, A+
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

cant I am at work I dont open attachment from tinternet at work :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. ethernet0

ethernet0 Byte Poster

ah a Rugby fan... you'll do well :)

8. billyr

billyr Kilobyte Poster

Hi Eddie.

I've posted before on this subject so I'll try to keep it brief.

You are in a slightly different position to most in that you already have existing I.T experience and staying at the A+/N+ level would be selling yourself short. You probably also hold security clearance, hopefully D.V or S.C level. If going for MOD contracting jobs you'll find this trumps all and even if you had very little experience it's a great advantage.

I see from your C.V that you have some Server Admin experience along with some Linux. You'll find the majority of work out here is Microsoft based and if looking for certification to qualify your experience level then continuing your Microsoft certs would be the best bet. I'd say the next logical stepping stone for you would be the MCSA leading on to the MCSE. If looking to stay in the MOD contracting side with the DII project etc and all the rest going on out in Afghanistan then having the CCNA will do you no harm either, and yes before people chime in, that's regardless of whether you have even seen a router or a switch before outwith of a lab or course environment.

If you use your resettlement resources wisely you should be able to get the MOD to fund most, if not all of your resettlement activities. Get your finger out now though, you'll be suprised how quickly your remaining time goes.

Most importantly start looking out for yourself and your family, it still amazes me the amount of people who work balls out to their last day with no thanks to the detriment of their future careers. Once you step out those gates your yesterdays news.

I work in I.T resettlement so if you need any advice on friendly recruitment agencies, making the most of the allowance scheme etc, just get in touch.

Certifications: CCNP, CCSI, MCSE W2k/W2k3, MCITP_SA
    WIP: Taking it easy for a while.
  9. EvilSmurf

EvilSmurf New Member

Hi,

I'm currently leaving the RAF - 2 more glorious months to go until I'm officially a Civvy :twisted:. Not sure where abouts you are looking for but in my experience of looking for jobs in the East Midlands there are plenty out there its just that the whole process seems to take for ever from applying to interview to getting a final verdict.

If you do your resettlement at Aldershot then a word of warning... do not opt for the MCITP:SA course expecting to get any certs out of it as the material is no where near sufficient to gain an indepth understanding (I attended the course December just gone and most people wanted to quit in the first week) - I had to buy a few extra books and spend every waking hour studying. The rest of the courses are supposed to be well taught so I've been told from some of the people who were on my course.

Good luck in your hunt, everyone on this board is friendly and will offer excellent advice.

10. billyr

billyr Kilobyte Poster

How true of the CTP at Aldershot. Unfortunately a lot of people are steered towards them by their independent "resettlement advisors", uknown to most though, those advisors are actually employed by Wright Management the same company contracted to provide the courses. A blind eye is turned towards it though as having students stay at Aldershot saves the MOD money on students claiming food and accommodation allowances when using other providers.

Certifications: CCNP, CCSI, MCSE W2k/W2k3, MCITP_SA
    WIP: Taking it easy for a while.
  11. Vdubster187

Vdubster187 Bit Poster

Thank you all for your advice it has been very helpful.

All the best Eddie

Certifications: A+ (2009), MCDST, NVQ2 IT, CCNA, CCNA (S) MCP (70-290) McAfee NSP
  12. Tug

Tug New Member

Hiya shipmate, I too am in the Navy, out in Sept time served.
    I am just coming to the end of my resettlement course, which was 7 week MCITP course in coventry. Having a similar back ground as Eddie, same branch slightly longer done ;) i chose to carry on my IT skills, so far have passed MTA server fundamentals (freebie exam) MCTS WIN7 CLIENT (70-860) MCTS Enterprise Desktop Administrator (70-868) and have win 2k8 server (70-640) left to take, and to be honest i dont think i will be taking that for a few months until i really get the hang on it.

Anyway something that has been drummed into my from all angles Eddie, is in your cv, if it dont breathe IT, it dont belong in there, now im just repeating what i have been told, im sure others will either agree or disagree to their own ways of making a cv. I'm yet to find out.

Good luck in your endeavour

Tug

13. Vdubster187

Vdubster187 Bit Poster

Alright Shippers, well done for doing your full time I surely couldn’t do it. Thank you for your post it’s good to see your also carrying your IT skills into Civvy Street. How did you go about taking the MTA server fundamentals? Was it with the DELC?

Thank you for the pointers on the CV and good luck with the 70-640.

All the best

Eddie