Learning SEO

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by PadawanTechie, Jan 22, 2010.

1. PadawanTechie

PadawanTechie Bit Poster

Hello all,

I wondered if anyone can help me!!

I've been looking for web design work for a while now and have managed to get a position as a junior search engine optimiser, how I don't no as I have some good experience in web design up to intermediate level but know next to nothing about SEO and keywords.

I'm starting the position next week and was hoping I could use the next few days to get myself up to a standard that will allow me to do the job.

I'm thinking getting hold of a good book and banging out a few chapters should get me there.

Can anyone suggest a good book to get hold of or anything I can do in the next few days which will prepare me?

Certifications: Bsc (Media Technology), A+
  2. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

So, I take it you exaggerated your skills in SEO? I doubt you put "I know nothing about SEO" on your cv when applying for an SEO job?

You're best bet, is google. google. google. There are hundreds of sites with the information readily avaliable, tutorials etc.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Repetition of key words an phrases is an important part of SEO, so you're on the right track by posting the same question in lots of different places...

:rolleyes:

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. Ellis

Ellis Bit Poster

Hmmm not good, I went for something similar and learnt my lesson, a position came up for an excel database entry job, I went for it and she asked me what I was like with it, she asked me if I was advanced but I wasnt but I thought I was!:blink, after receiving the test omg no way I was that advanced yet.

Lesson learnt, dont bite of more then you can chew. Hopefully you can learn as much as you can in the time you have, unfortunately I didn't even with a week so didn't get job.

Certifications: A+, 726 NVQ 2 Computers and Electronics.
    WIP: N+ Then Onto MCDST
  5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Phone them up tell them you have another job, and try being honest next time !

6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

LOL @ 'Excel' and 'Database' - two words that should never end up in the same sentence, unless the sentence reads:
    Excel is often used as a database by companies who don't know WTF a database actually is

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  7. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

PMSL thats so true, we came accross a company that was using it for its order system for the past 3 years (35,000+ rows:blink) and a user who loved the sort feature :eek:

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  8. Rover977

Rover977 Byte Poster

I would recommend ‘The Art of SEO - Mastering Search Engine Optimization’ (O’Reilly Press) by Enge, Spencer, Fishkin, Stricchiola, which I am currently reading. It is written by some of the top practitioners in the SEO field and is up to date having only been released in Oct 2009. I have so far read 8 out of the 13 chapters and have found it quite informative and readable, giving an insight into many aspects of SEO and how search engines and the web in general work.

Also check out SEOmoz (www.seomoz.org) which has a number of SEO Guides and videos, some of which are free.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Cisco CCNA
  9. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Combine it with access and you are onto a winner!

We regularly have plebs who design a "system" in access/excel (delete as appropriate), then they either want something they cant achieve on their own and turn to us (its fun to see their faces when we look at them in disgust and tell them they shouldnt be doing it), or the "designer" leaves and we have to take over support.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present