Learning background stuff for domain hosting

Discussion in 'Networks' started by UKDarkstar, Feb 28, 2009.

1. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Hi guys 'n' gals

Been asked to chat/help someone looking at the web side of things.

He seems to know the HTML/CSS type stuff but not got the background on things associated with webhosting such as nameservers, DNS, IPS Tags, MX records etc.

Can anyone recommend a good basic book for the foundations for this (or a suitable website) ?

I've had a good scour around and can't seem to find anything I can recommend.

Cheers

UKDS

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

I suppose an easy DNS book might cover it.

Anyone got any suggestions. The lad in question is not the brightest spark and he wants to help a charity do a website and from that onto others. I don't want to overwhelm him with a complete DNS reference manual :eek:

3. loneferret

loneferret Byte Poster

Ouch, all I can suggest would be to google "how to ..."
    Perhaps look into "For Dummies" books.. hmm...

Then again, you know this already ;)

Certifications: MCDST/N+/L+/i-Net+/CIW/OSCP/OSCE
    WIP: MCTS 70-662
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Is the website live just now mate?

Web hosting and web design are completly different so if the site aint live just now then I assume the chap would want to sort out some web hosting and purchase the domain.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

No it's not live atm. I have some spare space on my VPS I was going to let him use and I happened to mention he'd need to point the domain etc. and I got a rather blank look. A bit more investigation revealed the lack of knowledge so I was really after a crib sheet or basic intro into how to set up a domain if you're doing websites - that sort of thing.

Haven't found a good or easy web tutorial yet.

6. loneferret

loneferret Byte Poster

Maybe try godaddy.com
    If I remember correctly, they have a good support section. Yes it's geared for them, but the basic info would be there. Perhaps you could just cut&paste relative information you need for you friend...

Just a thought.

Certifications: MCDST/N+/L+/i-Net+/CIW/OSCP/OSCE
    WIP: MCTS 70-662
  7. Sparky

If you want to host the site then ask the chap to purchase the domain through 123reg. That will take care of the name servers.

After that log on and there will be a www A record already created. Put the published IP of your server there and you are good to go.

For the MX records create another A record called mail and the put the published IP of whatever mail server is going to be used. Then go to the first MX record and put 'mail' as DNS name and that should autocomplete to the FQDN (e.g mail.companyname.com).

Thats the basics anyways. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  8. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Yeh I know how to configure it for my VPS (got my nameservers on there too). He's thinking of a little part-time business tho' and so I just thought it would be useful for him to know the basics of what he needs each time.

Suppose you're right, just as easy to write it out for him :rolleyes:

9. Sparky

Yeah, no point in going into the complexities of DNS at this stage. :biggrin