Learning a programming or scripting language?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by onoski, Oct 28, 2012.

1. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi All,

Hope you're all well and doing okay? Sorry haven't had much time to participate in this great forum of late. I have however, been keeping an eye on the forum and postings.

Well just life in general plus now have an eleven month old son who is keeping me really busy. Well done to all the responsible parents out there my hats off to you all:)

I work mainly in the server infrastructure side of IT and virtualisation, but have decided to learn a programming language and decided to go with Python.

The reason I chose Python is because it is easy to learn and most importantly runs on almost any operating system and integrates well with Powershell. Actually, am running my python scripts via the Powershell console after enabling the .py extension in the windows system variable environment.

Anyways, don't want to bore anyone so with that said are you learning any programming language? Please, also state your choice of language and the reasoning behind choosing that language as your preferred programming language etc.

It could be that you already know and program in a different language but from a systems administrators perspective how useful has that been etc.

Lastly, I am learning python using the free online web sites and in my case, learn python the hard way is what am using.

I am in no means a fluent programmer or developer just learning and thus far enjoying Python. Am a rookie and a noob:)

Thanks in advance for sharing.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I wouldn't say I am learning a programming language, but what I will be starting shortly is Powershell and PowerCLI which would help me with my work. Personally, I was never really interested in programming or scripting, but powershell and powercli really interest me.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Anything other than very rudimentary PowerShell use IS scripting, therefore I would say you are interested in scripting if you are interested in PowerShell.

I think Python makes an excellent choice as a general purpose scripting language.

coursera.org and udacity.com offer a few Python courses.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  4. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

I learnt how to code in PHP / MySQL in order to write websites as a side line. Good language to learn. But I didn't learn the object oriented way, I learnt the kind of top-down procedural way.

5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Yup you're right, I meant to say that although scripting in general never interested me, powershell even though it can be considered a scripting language once you start stacking the commands together and automating processes does interest me.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  6. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

That is what programming is all about, making computers do whatever you want them to do by sticking commands together...

7. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

Certifications: A few.
  8. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Wooh! good to see a few people keen on Python and thanks for sharing guys:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  9. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

As has already been mentioned, Udacity do a good Python course. You basically create a search bot etc and as you move on get to build more in depth pieces, pretty good setup though and plenty of tests along the way.

I got a good way through the course but I struggle I think with the general mindset to program. I would get a task and I woudl solve it, get all the right answers etc and it would pass me, but would take me about a page of code. Would look at the answer and they would have 2 or 3 lines! lmao. So frustrating, but i've always had a bad habit of over thinking things!

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!