Learning A+ Help

Discussion in 'General CompTIA Certifications' started by Hazukison, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Hazukison

Hazukison New Member

Hi everybody, I've taken it upon myself to learn A+ and maybe N+ depending on if i can pass the A+! I bought the latest Exam Cram fifth edition? I know people recommend the Mike Myers book but it seems its out of date now thus i bought the exam cram one which i hope it good enough to figure it all out from it!

Does anyone have any tips or anything for learning this 500 page book? I don't really have much confidence in myself for actually having the mindset of that I myself could pass an exam from only reading a book and that 500 page book looks daunting!! Which I guess is because I've never done it before, Should I set myself to learning 1 or 2 chapters a week or a certain number of pages per week? Did any of you guys set a similar target as I'd love to hear from you to give me a little confidence boost that I'd actually be able to pass these!

Kind Regards!

John

2. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

A lot of people read the book twice, first time trying to take the information in, second time to skim through, reminding yourself of the topics and attempting the questions.

Other ways are to watch videos such as Professor Messer (Professor Messer, CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Microsoft Certification Training) as a second run through with the information.

If your not sure you know the content, grab yourself an exam pack and get the next best thing to actually sitting the exam. There are plenty out there but most people seem to recommend Boson (CompTIA A+ Certification - Practice Exams - Training) who regularly posts on this forum. I've not used it yet but I'm planning to in the near future.

Finally, everyone is different, I only read when I'm traveling to work and as such its taking me a lot longer to sit my A+, whereas some people read the book in a week and get that certification as soon as possible. It depends on your current status and experience, do you already work in IT? Do you need a job?

There are a lot of variables, just read what you can, when you can and see how each day goes. 8)

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  3. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I'm not sure how the current edition of Meyers book can be out of date, the seventh edition covers the current 700 series does it not? The exam objectives or focus may have changed slightly since it was released but you're going to run that risk with any study material.
    Check out the Professor Messer video course to supplement the book and also give you a break from reading. Whether those two are enough for you depends on you really, they should cover nearly all the material between them.

As for studying: Experiment to find out when you study best. Break it down into small chunks (about an hour for most people) and get up and do something else in between sessions. Try to do a little each day rather than cram it all into the weekend, most people learn better that way.

Personally I think anyone can pass this cert with good study materials, self-discipline and determination.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  4. Hazukison

Hazukison New Member

Cheers guys, I read something about that it doesn't include material regarding windows 7? How long have you been at it boffy? and what chapter are you upto so far? I hope I can actually figure it all out and pass them tho as itll be a real booster to me.

5. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

I'm about 250 pages on the Mike Myers book.

I've only been reading the last 3 weeks but as I'm already working in IT and have for the last few years its only now I'm looking to get certifications.

The Exam doesn't have any Windows 7 if I recall correctly, but since Vista is included you won't find many differences for the exam.

Anyone can pass the A+, just make sure you study hard and learn it. Don't rush to take the exam, you probably won't take all the criteria first time. Read the book, watch the videos, then re-skim the book; testing yourself as you go.

Keep us updated, we will then keep you motivated (or at least pestering you! :D )

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  6. andylad9

andylad9 Byte Poster

Hi

Yeah I second the Mike Meyers books. Just finished reading it myself. My Boson practice test scores aren't what I want so I going to re read and create cram sheets.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | 70-680 | 70-685 | MTA Server
    WIP: deciding now...