Leading Study Groups or Training in your local area?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Arroryn, Oct 28, 2007.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Have any of you guys had experience of this, in a 'voluntary' environment?

For example, have you tutored people, or organised a study/teaching group, either for people new to computing, or people studying a Cert that you are particularly experienced in?

I only ask, as it seems to me a great way to achieve a multitude of sins:

• Reinforcing knowledge of the certification - especially like the CCNA, where you have to recertify
    • Gain experience with people, expecially dealing with groups
    • Gain experience in presentations, and (to some extent) project management (depending on how large and complex the group is!)
    • Meeting people in the "real world" with the same interests as you!

I don't think I'd personally have the right kind of esteem or confidence to lead a group like this, but maybe one day (when I have a bit more knowledge!!)

What are the thoughts on it? I know it's kind of like the 'meets' that have already taken place... just wanted to know if anyone had already organised and experienced this kind of thing.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I'm sure it'd be great for some people. The social networking would be wonderful. But as far as learning is concerned, I'd not be interested in it for the same reason I'm not interested in classroom training: it doesn't move at my speed.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Arroryn

But what if you were actually leading the class? Would the concern be that the class would be too slow to keep up with you?

4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Modey & I actually do this on a paid basis for the local college. So experience in leading/teaching professional IT classes yes, in a 'voluntary' environment - no.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Arroryn

Thanks Ken. I think I know the college you're at - my other half did his electrical engineering ONC there. Was quite tempted to check out the courses there, until I discovered I wouldn't be moving to Wellingborough after all :rolleyes:

6. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I've never experienced it before, but sound a good idea :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

If someone where teaching a class in a technical subject, it would be their job to bring the class along at the speed necessary to get through the required coursework in the alloted time (say 16 weeks for a uni semester in the US). That said, not everyone learns at the same rate of speed or in the same educational style, which is why organized education is only really effective for a certain portion of the population.

The problem with tutoring a volunteer in a production environment is that win, lose, or draw, the work *has* to get done. As most of you know, in an IT environment, resources (including the human kind) are tight, schedules are tight and the boss wants everything done yesterday. It is a fact that teaching someone how to perform a particular function takes more time than just doing it. IF you worked at a place that was dedicated to teaching others (one that supported internships), then the resources ideally would be built in so that the work got done AND the volunteer interns got the experience they needed. Otherwise, the experience would be frustrating for both the teacher and the student.

I know where you're going with this (I think) and in principle, it's a great idea. It's just very hard to get it to work in the real world.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If I were leading the class... they'd be paying me, and I'd be just fine with it. 8)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!