ldap forum

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by ffreeloader, Nov 6, 2005.

1. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I thought there was a thread a while back about posting links to good site, but I couldn't find it so I'll post there here.

The ldapguru forums site is one I just happened to run across the other day. It has a few forums devoted to other subjects, but 99% of the traffic is in the ldap forum.

After reading there for a while it's pretty apparent that there are some very knowledgeable ldap people there so I decided I'd post the link here as a reference for anyone working with ldap or learning ldap. As this protocol is one which I have had an interest in learning for quite a while the site was of great interest to me as a resource. I hope others find it useful as well.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  2. Veteran's son

Veteran's son Megabyte Poster

Thanks for sending the link, freddy! :)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Just to clear something up for me if you wouldn't mind freddy, but am I correct in believing that LDAP is Basically the open source version of Microsofts Active Directory?

4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

err not really simon
    AD is built on LDAP
    Novells directory syem is also built on LDAP

I think there is an OpenLDAP inplementation of the protocol, which is open source

LDAP is a protocol not a product

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  5. ffreeloader

Simon,

Phoenix said it pretty well. It's Lightweight Directory Access Protocol. Most of the companies that use it have their own implementations of the protocol that they use to access their own databases.

There is an open source product called OpenLDAP that can used to access AD information from a MS DC from Linux machines. It's also used when a Samba server is used as a database for central authentication on a network. As I understand things LDAP is used by Evolution and other email clients to access servers such as Exchange Server for storing and recalling email, contacts, schedules, etc....

It has a lot of uses. A couple of years ago I used PGP a lot to encrypt email for work purposes and everyone's public keys were stored on LDAP servers on the Internet.

6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Good link Freddy, I got lost in there for quite a while 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. ffreeloader

Glad you liked it. I found it to be a pretty good resource.

8. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Sorry guy's I should have been more clear in my post, What I was referring to was the OpenLDAP version as I have heard this mentioned many times before. :rolleyes:

9. ffreeloader

OpenLDAP is the protocol and API portion of open source's vision of things such as directory services. It provides a way to connect to two daemons: slapd and slurpd. slapd takes care of the directory services database, and slurpd takes care of replication. In my reading I've normally seen this integrated with Samba so that there is a central authentication point for the services Samba provides.

I may have some misunderstanding of this so don't take this as gospel. I have a real interest in this as it basically allows an admin to build their own directory services from scratch, with a C, perl, sql, and one other language I can't recall right now, programmer or two helping to write the code during development. I think it would be a really cool project to do, when I'm at that point of understanding. I have a ways to go before I figure I'll be good enough to start this type of project, but to build a domain from scratch would be really interesting.

10. mjtibbs

mjtibbs Bit Poster

thanks for the link!

Certifications: MCSA, OSCP, MCTS Config SharePoint 2007
  11. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Its a heirachical database with a network protocol ontop and some replication services.

Personally I can't think of anything more dull than writing a directory product...

12. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I know its halloween and all that, but whats with the exhumation of threads that are nearly 2 years old? :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009