Late starter

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by shan5742, Dec 18, 2015.

1. shan5742

shan5742 New Member

Ok, so I did some searching around and while I found a bunch of threads on possibly being too old to start in IT etc...

I usually think that's a pretty silly question, I'm currently 29 and have been contemplating a career in IT for a number of years now.

No idea why I'm still contemplating tho...

Anyway, all of the threads I found involve someone with a degree. Some IT related, some not, some recent and some old. Again this is kind of irrelevant Imo.

I don't have a degree and university is not an option as I messed that up back in the day and can no longer get funding.

So I'm asking how will not having a degree hold me back in the long run for promotions, high salary etc. Will Certs and experience be enough? Will I be able to secure entry level roles and advance without a degree. I know this probably depends on the person but it would be good to hear some thoughts and opinion.

Obviously everything I do will have to be (initially) self funded, so other than Certs are there any distance learning courses/degrees? That are highly regarded or am I better off just cracking in with certs?

Not sure if it is important, but the aspect of it that interests me most is security.

Thanks

2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Shan,

First of all you're never too old to get in to a new career, just remember tho that a new career means starting at the bottom and that 'could' mean a considerable pay drop. What you do have in your favour tho is age and some other real world experiences when comparing yourself against 18 year olds trying for the same roles.

As far as certifications are concerned I would have a look at my post here - http://www.certforums.com/threads/entry-level-it-certifications-and-beyond.49085/ it's not as up to date as I would like but it definitely gives you the right idea.

As far as certifications are concerned they are there to prove a certain level of experience, the lower the level (MTA, CompTIA A+/N+) etc the more it's expected that you may not have the right level of experience, when you start looking at certs like the MCSA/E, CCNA/P and various VCP's then you're expected that those certifications are there to prove experience, not grant it.

I would also ask what kind of work you're involved in now, if there are any transferable skills that you can bring across with you.

Finally as far as degrees are concerned, yes they can definitely be a benefit to you if you have them, personally speaking I don't, infact I left school at 16 with barely any scholastic qualifications but haven't been held back in anything I put my mind to.

My last thought on this, IT isn't the panacea that it once was, it's no longer the best paid job out there (don't get me wrong it pays well for those willing to put in long hours both at the office and at home (and willing to invest in self improvement with training and home labs)) so if you're looking to get in to IT because you want to earn decent money from the start then don't waste your time, however if you want a potentially diverse career working with lots of different technologies over the years then welcome :)

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    Jaron78 likes this.
  3. shan5742

shan5742 New Member

Thank you for your reply. I actually read through your thread yesterday and will take a closer look at it again.

I'm definitely not only in it for the money, I'm looking for a career that is interesting, varied and has scope for change and improvement so it seems great In that sense.

Since school o have worked with my dad. He is very entrepreneurial and has been involved in numerous ventures. Majority some sort of retail. Currently the transport business - cab company.

The business is large and successful but it seems as time goes by we disagree on more and more and I feel under utilised and very under appreciated. I value my family relationships and would rather keep them strong and pursue a career I really have passion for rather than stick out out and see our relationship worsen.

Plus the industry itself is very taxing on social and family life. All unsociable hours etc.

In terms of IT skills, I dot really do anything day to day that would be anything special IT wise. I'm generally the trouble shooter for all of my family in terms of computer problems but that's about it.

4. shan5742

shan5742 New Member

Definitely not just in it for the cash. I'm lookin for a career in passionate about and that is interesting and engaging.

As for what I'm doing now. Since school I've pretty much always worked for my dad. He is very entrepreneurial and has been involved in many ventures. Currently in transport - cab company. The business is successful but I feel pretty underwhelmed there, mostly because I'm under-utilised and under appreciated. I value my family relationships though, so would much ratherpersue something I'm passionate about rather than see relationships break down. Working with family has its positives but those are far outweighed by the negatives imo.

As far as transferable skills go, I've also been the go to guy to troubleshoot any computer issues and deal with pretty much everything that involves technology at work as my dad and tech just don't go! Nothing really super relevant or earth shattering though.

I read your thread the other day actually as it was linked in another thread, I'll try go back over it and make some plans as to where I think is best to start. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

5. shan5742

shan5742 New Member

Double posted as first post wasn't showing up.

Very tech savvy ffs

6. Guvnor

Guvnor Nibble Poster

Welcome to the forum

Get your A+ & N+ these are entry certs and will help you get your foot in the door.

Many have done great without degrees.

7. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

If you have any questions please don't hesitate in asking.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    Guvnor likes this.
  8. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Welcome, never too old mate!

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  9. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

Where are you based Shan? Out of curiousity?

Some countries will be more difficult to get started without a degree than others. Are you UK based?

If UK based then I certainly don't think an issue, I only really came into IT in the UK at 25, 10 years down the line and still with no real certs to speak of i'm doing alright for myself. Working in a technical position and very much enjoy the challenges and changes that IT brings.

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!