Laser eye surgery

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by zxspectrum, Aug 18, 2010.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

My eyes are pants and i have to wear glasses and i wear contacts when im out on the pull, either way its a pain in the arse and im getting miffed with both ideas. So ive been looking at laser treatment, as i know my eyes are shaped like rugby balls, the medical term is known as astigmatism, and im longsighted, so when it comes to reading a paper thats where i really need the glasses.

Has anyone had this type of treatment, or knows anyone that has had it, as ive applied to a compnay for a consultation, but ive not set anything definate yet. I have a feeling they will try and push me down the finance route which i wont go for, if i cant it intrest free credit then maybe ill see what goes. Just wondered if any one on here has any experience of laser eye surgery.

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

No experience in Eyes, but I got my teeth whitened properly which could be the same type of thing really (IE, you always see the adverts, but no of nobody who has had it done) and I have to say, it was exactly how they said on the tin, it worked, was exactly as they said and I couldn't of been happier. I went to a proper place, with a surgery in the centre of town and it was a good experience.

So my thoughts were, they wouldn't be in business if they were doing such a poor job or it didn't work.

Make sure you google "company name review" or "company name scam" etc just to be sure though.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  3. Simonvm

Simonvm Kilobyte Poster

Aren't those kinds of surgery done by hospitals instead of companies?

I used to have about the same problem in my child years.
    With only a couple of months between it, my eyes degraded from 20/20 vision to "not seeing sh*t".
    My parents tried glasses but they didn't help. Apparantly it was caused by one of my irises being eliptical.

Eventually I had laser surgery. Had to be blindfolded for a couple of days but once the pain was over I had perfect vision again. :)
    Up to today I haven't had any problems (knocking on wood :P)

Don't know how it happens in the UK, since I'm Belgian, but the whole operation was refunded from our medical insurance too.

Certifications: MCITP: EST, MCDST, MCTS, A+, N+, CCNP, CCNA Wireless
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I had LASIK done almost 8 years ago and I couldn't be happier. I was horribly nearsighted - my contact prescriptions were -6.50. And when I hopped up off the LASIK operating table, I could read words on the dry-erase board across the room, though they were a little hazy at first. I gave my eyes a full day to rest and my sight was wonderful afterwards. :)

The first thing I noticed were that colors were brighter, more vivid. I no longer have to worry about replacing contacts, or what the contacts were doing to my eyes when keeping them in for extended periods. No contacts to deal with when swimming or scuba diving... it's a joy to be able to not have to fumble around for glasses when waking up.

I had one shock a few days after the procedure. I woke up one morning to pitch blackness... though it was daylight out. I yelled to my wife, "I can't see! I can't see!" And I couldn't - not one bit, for what seemed like an eternity. Over the next few minutes, my vision slowly came back. I immediately went to the surgeon, who tested my eyes to see if there were any problems... and he could find none. And the problem never recurred again.

I say this to say that, despite the joy I have with the procedure, it does not come without risk. Some people experience "night halos" where rings of light appear around bright objects, like streetlamps and headlights; this is by far the most common side effect. Some people experience increased photophobia, which is a sensitivity to light. And, the most scary for me (short of outright blindness) is the slim possibility that your eyes might not be correctable after the procedure to anything better than 20/40... not even with glasses. :blink Granted, I've had none of these side effects... but the risk was there, and despite wanting perfect vision, it made me hesitate before getting the procedure done.

Eight years later, I can still see very well. If I've experienced any loss in vision, I don't notice it.

One thing I would recommend is this: you DON'T necessarily want to go to the cheapest place out there. After all, these are your EYES we're talking about, here. You have only two of them, and they don't grow back. Go to the best surgeon you can find. Save the bargain searching for groceries or gas or software or something... not for your eyes.

Hope this helps. :)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Good god. How scary is that!

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Dude... I truly thought I had gone permanently blind in both eyes. :blink

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Being pretty short-sighted I did look into this a while back.

The main issue seems to revolve around possibly having to repeat the treatment a few years later and the big potential for ****-ups when they cut a flap.

After watching a few of the horror vids on YouTube I decided I'd stick with the glasses :biggrin

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  8. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I haven't but my brother did (we both suffer(ed) with minor astygmatisms), he went under the laser twice (first time wasn't 100% successful) and he is happy as larry with the results (he no longer needs glasses).

It wasn't cheap, was done on the high street (Regents St I believe) and he recommends it, of course there are risks but to be honest there are risks to everything. As a side note I have contemplated it but it's finding the money to do so (when there are so many other things to spend it on (the house, the wife and the son, often not in that order)).

I would have a chat around and see who has had it done, you may be surprised.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I have worn glasses from 18 months to when I was 18 years, I still wear them when I'm on the comp but dont need to the rest of the time.

I cant do lazer sugery even if I wanted to as I have permanent bleeding to blood vessels in my eyes and occasionally the heamoragh which cause temporary blindness although they havent gone for 3 years now so I am hoping they won't do it again.

I dont think I would ever do it anyway, those TV adverts which those athletics people piss me off. "Thanks for the recommendation" steve redgrave - tosser.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  10. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)