Laptop wireless connection issue

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by JonnyMX, Oct 20, 2011.

1. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Hi guys and girls.

Having a wireless connection issue of late...
    I've got a laptop which I use around and about and connect to a couple of wireless networks.
    Generally speaking though I'm mostly connected at home to my BT hub.
    This has always worked fine and never been an issue until yesterday.

Now the laptop seems to be struggling to connect.
    The wireless network connection box just keeps showing that it is 'connecting' often to no avail - although sometimes it connects and immediately disconnects. The signal strength is showing as maximum and no settings etc have changed from back when it was working.

Odd thing is thought that the available wireless networks seem to be appearing and disappearing all the time, one minute one is there the next it isn't. Not something I've seen before. The laptop is in the same room as the hub so signal strength shouldn't be an issue.

My broadband is working fine and is stable on my home PC, not dropping out or anything.
    I've tried restarting the laptop and the BT hub etc etc.

Anyone got ant thoughts?

Cheers.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Have you tried removing all of the known networks then disabling and re-enabling the wireless adapter?

3. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I'd re-install the driver as part of the troubleshooting. I've not seen that particular behaviour with corrupt wireless drivers before, but they do throw up some bizzare symptoms.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Thanks both.

I had deleted the wireless connection through the network/sharing centre but it kept finding the bugger again.
    Forgot to delete it from the Intel PROset utility.

Added it back in again and, touch wood, it's been behaving for the last few minutes.

Watch this space.

Or don't bother...

:biggrin

5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Well, after much farting about, it seems that all my wireless devices laptops, iThings, PS3 etc are all experiencing this weird now-you-see-me-now-you-don't relationship with my BT hub.

So I don't know if my hub is on the blink, or if it's just teh broadband in general - it was up and down like a whore's drawers in work the other day.

Any clever bods got a way of telling the difference?
    My PC is connected to the hub by a cable and seems to be relatively unaffected. Can the wireless bit just spacker up? I've had the thing a few years and I think BT make them out of recycled egg boxes in the first place.

6. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

I have found the wireless clients going dodgy while the wired clients continue working normally, but a reboot fixes this. Perhaps factory default it since you have already rebooted it?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
    Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  7. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Could be an intermittent fault with your hub. I suppose there is a slim chance your neighbor has a wireless router that's on the same channel as yours, assuming yours is manually set and not on auto. Log onto the router and check its either on auto or change it to another number, 1-13 I think are the options

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
    danielno8 likes this.
  8. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

I have a BT hub and had problems with my wireless, i changed the channel on the BT hub and it worked for me

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yup, try changing the channel on the router especially if there are other wireless networks in range of yours.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

we had several hubs sent to us at work for this same fault a while back, I then gave up and bought a belkin and it's been fine since. Also, a collegue here had this fault at home and BT swapped out the hub and it was sorted.

Certifications: A+ 220-701 and 220-702
    WIP: none at current but poss 70-680 soon
  11. culturefun

culturefun New Member

Hi, I also encountered such things before in my connection and its true that it might be all about a router problem.