Laptop TFT panel help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TimoftheC, Nov 29, 2007.

1. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

I need some advice on a troublesome tft panel in a friend’s laptop before I take it apart :blink

The situation is that a friend has asked me look at his daughter’s laptop as the panel has recently gone “hazy”. Turns out that the panel image is completely distorted and you cannot read a thing on it.

The actions I have taken so far is to plug my own tft panel into the laptop and boot as normal – nothing wrong with the screen output this way. Had a look at the vga adaptor in Device Manager and it was exclamated out with no drivers loaded so I went on the Samsung web site (laptop is a Samsung v25 by the way) located the vga drivers and downloaded them to the laptop.

Installed the drivers and rebooted and it didn’t solve the problem. I also tried a system restore back to April just to see if anything added or changed to the laptop recently was causing a problem, again, no resolution there.

At this point I’m thinking that the tft panel has a problem so I just tried moving the laptop lid up and down (or backwards and forwards) and noted that at times the panel would clear and you could see the desktop nice and clear. Sometimes the panel is only garbled for 2 thirds of the screen whilst the third looks perfect. I’m now of the opinion that the connection at the back of the panel may well be loose and that is why manipulating it can sometimes lead to the screen being fine and am planning to take the panel out and check the connection.

Now, I have done this before with my own laptop when I replaced the broken panel but it’s a little different when dealing with a mate’s laptop because I don’t want to do any more damage. Therefore, my question is, does anyone have any ideas of other potential fixes I could try before I breakout the stanley knife and screwdrivers?

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

It sounds like the 'cable' between the screen and the motherboard has either worked loose in the socket, or has a fatigue failure.

Either way you will need to disassemble the lap-top. :ohmy

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

Had the same with my own laptop last week the screen kept jumping up and down as was garbled

to fix it i took the small plate above the keyboard off and removed the keyboard to get access to the cable that runs from the screen to the motherboard just a case of reseating and making sure it wasnt pinched at the hinge were it feeds upto the screen

sounds like a similar problem to yours and this way first removes the need to have to take the screen out

might be worth a try first

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Another vote for reseating or replacing the cable... at both ends... motherboard end and the end behind the TFT panel itself.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

6. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

Thanx for the replies guys. As I suspected, looks like I'm gona need those screwdrivers - ah well tis all good experience :)

That's a useful site Mr cheeks I'll certainly bookmark it. The one that I've used in the past when I replaced my last tft panel was this one: -

http://www.screentekinc.com/lcd-removal-instructions_en,compaq.shtml

I liked this site because it had pictures - makes it so much easier :D

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  7. marcel lecorps

marcel lecorps New Member

Setting up TCP/IP network