Laptop Screen Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fongster, Feb 29, 2008.

1. fongster

fongster Bit Poster

Heya

I'm new here and have a problem that has been bugging me for ages and want some help, so here it goes...

I have a Dell XPS M1710 laptop that is approx 18 months old. Few months back the screen went completely blank whilst surfing the net. The computer seemed to be working since Itunes was still pumping out tunes:). Restarted the computer and seemed fine till I shut the lid and put it on standby. Opened it up and screen was blank again and has been since.

Gave the laptop to my uncle to inspect (works in IT) and thought that the screen had gone. It seems to work on an external monitor in safe mode. So bought a new screen off Ebay and just fitted it last week. Warranty just expired and Dell were gonna charge me extortionate prices!:x

Now the screen seems to get power cos the screen is now blank but has light (if you know what I mean). On the external monitor it comes up with a list of options to boot up.

Don't really know what the problem is so could anyone help please!!!

Cheers

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

LCD cable has probably come loose from the motherboard or the back of the LCD screen. Easy enough to try to fix... just follow the instructions on Dell's support site.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

First - welcome to CF!

Now the problem lappy...

Could be all sorts of things.

First - the list of options is probably because it wasn't shut down correctly. It *could* be because the screen is too different from the original, but I don't think this is so probable.

You don't say what the 'list of options' is so it is a little hard to guess.

It could be the cable as BM suggests - this is one of the most common faults. Or it could be the video driver electronics failing.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. JonGlory

JonGlory Byte Poster

Hi I'm currently work for dell at the moment,I would advise you to run the diagnostics (fn+power, when switching on), post back your results.

WIP: LIFE
  5. fongster

fongster Bit Poster

Cheers for your help guys! Much appreciated. Will post back my results asap

6. fongster

fongster Bit Poster

Right, here are the results:

-the cables are securely fixed and the problem still persists,
    -the diagnostic check didn't work. pressed fn+power and after 15 minutes, nothing happened.

7. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

Could the inverter be loose or even be dead. No idea how you check it though - a new one will set ya back about 20-30 quid as I recall

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  8. fongster

fongster Bit Poster

the new screen came with an inverter. surely it can't be dead? the seller said the screens are tested before it is sold.

9. TimoftheC

Ok - are you sure you got the exact same screen off ebay as the one you are replacing? Do you still have the inverter from the old screen? do you know if that one is in working order? You could swap the inverters and see if it solves the problem.

Also, do you have anyway to test the screen you brought off ebay - you mentioned your uncle is in IT, is there any way he can power it up off another stripped down laptop?

If you are sure that the cables are secure, are sure that you have the right panel and are sure the inverter is in working order, I think you may be looking at a more serious failure - possibly the onboard graphics chip on the mobo.

hmm - just realised I asked a lot of questions and didnt provide any real answers :rolleyes: It can be a bit of a toughie to solve, especially over a distance :D My final question though is - are you absolutely sure all of the connections are in correct and tight - those lappy panel connectors are a bit small and fiddley - at least for my sausage fingers :D

10. fongster

fongster Bit Poster

The seller said it was a direct replacement for my laptop, so don't think there are any problems there. I still have the old inverter but don't know if that works. Will try and swap them around next week (im at Uni in another city).

Im pretty sure the cables are secure. I'll triple check them tonight just to make sure.

Would it be the onboard graphics chip? Had it hooked up to an external monitor a while back as mentioned before and something showed up. Can't remember what though!

11. TimoftheC

Hmmm, good point, I suppose I'm not as cleaver as I thought I was, certainly didn't put two and two together there :oops:

On the plus side, yes, if it works on an external moniter it shows that the on board graphics are working :biggrin

12. fongster

fongster Bit Poster

Woohoo! Hopefully the problem isn't as serious as initially thought. :)

Cheers for your help anyway. Will get back asap with the results.

13. JonGlory

JonGlory Byte Poster

What do you mean when you said you ran the diagnostics and nothing happened, if the screen stayed the same, try running them with an external monitor. Also check the diagnostic lights on the laptop, (caps lock , num lock , and scroll lock), if there is a problem before post, the will light up in a specific order.

TBh just phone dell, although its out of warranty, they have to trouble shoot it for you, be prepared to strip the machine to the bare components.:biggrin.

Then when you know the fault, just knock back the out of warranty quote, unless your loaded.

WIP: LIFE
  14. fongster

fongster Bit Poster

When I ran the diagnostics, the lights lit up in an order. Don't know what though. Will try and run it in an external monitor at some point this weekend and see if there's any joy.

I understand Dell would be the most help, but I'm not really prepared to strip the laptop. Replacing the screen was challenging enough :)

Might extend the warranty once this problem is fixed. Don't know what would happen!

15. fongster

fongster Bit Poster

Hey guys

Here's an update: ran the diagnostics on an external monitor and got this message:

Incompatible video controller
    Vesa function 0x4f02 returned Ax=qtf

It also runs in safe mode on the external monitor. Laptop screen also works in safe mode when I boot it up using the external monitor and switch display to the laptop.

Hope this helps

16. hbroomhall

Sounds like the video drivers need reloading in that case.

Harry.

17. fongster

fongster Bit Poster

This probably sounds stupid, but how do I do that?

18. hbroomhall

Either use the CD that shipped with it to load them, or, if you no longer have that, use the Service Tag on the machine to get them from the Dell website.

Harry.

19. fongster

fongster Bit Poster

Cheers! Will try and do it this weekend.

20. joe26f

joe26f New Member

Hi I have the same problem (same error code via diagnostics), did any of you guys get this solved by yourselves. All the forum threads i have read have no information how people resolved this issue.
    also my service tag I enter on Dell's Website tells me I own a Vostro 1200 and not a XPS M1710 :S