Laptop power adpater gets pretty hot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zr79, Sep 13, 2009.

1. zr79

zr79 Byte Poster

to the extent that i couldn't press down and hold it in the center for more than a couple of seconds, if i remember back to A+ this is due to a faulty battery and not faulty adapter?

I think it's starting to cool a bit but at it's worst it i thought the wires were going to melt. It shouldn't get this hot right?

A quick google and i see answers "this is normal" and other answers "get it serviced" etc..

Certifications: A+
  2. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I am pretty used to laptop supplies getting hot over time, but too hot to touch is a smidge on the dangerous side.

Replacement PSUs (universal ones, not branded replacements) aren't too expensive - if you're hellishly worried, replace this. I can't think (at this moment in time, but haven't had a coffee yet) why the battery would be causing the PSU to overheat.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  3. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Never had an adapter get so hot I wouldn't be able to rest my hand on it... There have been some faulty adapters produced now and then from different manufacturers, where the wires indeed did melt and a general notice was made to bring it in and have it replaced. Can't remember what model or make of laptop it was.

It "might" be normal, but I would chat up a support technician from the company that made your laptop, just in case.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM