Laptop Keyboard issues HELP!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Juelz, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

I have problem with my laptop missing letters out when I type.. I don't think its the keyboard thats the thing..another thing I've noticed is the edges of the screen will flash when this happens and I have to re-click into the text box I am typing in, its very hard to explain the issue if I had to describe it its like when you refresh a page and have to click into the box you wish to type in but its doing it itself every 5-10 seconds. anyone got any ideas?

ALSO: this isn't just an internet browser issue it happens even when I use programs.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

You might have a stuck key like tab or return, or it could even be drag pad or mouse ?

Try to clean the keyboard (blow out dust and debris) and check all the keys work by hitting them in a text editor.

Theres lot utube videos on how fix broken keys, failing that new keyboard if $10 is youve got a popular model laptop.

Just replace it.

If its not mechanical / electrical fault with keyboard it might be malware, depends how careful you are with your laptop.

3. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

Plug a USB keyboard in and turn off the laptop keyboard?

4. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Problem with that is its not practical as I have a laptop for space and travel reasons. Its most likely an easy fix of a setting hopefully SimonD will see this later he will probs know.

5. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Actually it doesn't sound like a setting as there is nothing in the OS that would cause this (key delay sure but not a screen flicker at the same time).
    I would be more inclined to go with a dry connection between the keyboard and systemboard that's leading to an issue with the screen as well, out of interest how old is the laptop and is it under warranty?

As far as keyboards are concerned, I would have a look at something like the Logitech UK - Wireless Illuminated Keyboard K800 it's an amazying little keyboard that I carry around with me all the time, it's wireless and doesn't require a USB dongle either (I use mine instead of the Surface Type 2 Keyboard on my SP2 because I prefer the K800).

I should add that you can get the K800 for a lot cheaper than what's on the link so please shop around.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  6. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

The $10 is a laptop replacement keyboard, you take the one you've got out and fit a new one, its a 5 minute job.

All you need is a small screwdriver to lever up the keyboard. Then you release the ribbon cable.

5 minutes and its good as new, same as from factory, I'm not taking about an external USB keyboard.

Laptop keyboards, memory, hard drives are all end user upgradable items. Anyone on cert forums should be able to do it.

Its common for keyboards to break, so guess what, they make it easy to replace them, even on laptops.

The only problem is if you have a non common laptop, instead of $10 you can be looking at $60 to get the part.

Whats your laptop model ? Normally they can be found cheap on ebay, shipped from china where the factory is.

If you have lot time and patience and bit skill, its possible you could maybe refurb the one you have, but generally its easier to buy new.

I'm not sure about the screen flicker, is it just the normal focus change of moving between controls or is it a real fault with the screen ?

7. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Right I did a little test and it happens when I am not typing, I only notice this when Im typing obviously because I'm actually inputting something and waiting for an output but it happens when Im just looking at the screen, see pics below, see how the top bar changes colour to a lighter blue as if I just loaded the page...

http://i60.tinypic.com/15x8vsz.jpg

8. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Windows changes the look and feel of windows that 'gain focus' or 'lose focus'.

The act of 'having focus' is the currently active window that will receive the input of the keyboard.

Its normal for the active window to have a more prominent color to help you determine this. Its part of the WIMP / WYSIWYG design of windows.

If your keyboard, mouse, dragpad is randomly triggering tab, enter, pg up, pg down, home, end, esc, scroll, mouse enter, its possible that you could be changing the focus.

Since all that has changed is the chrome title bar, Id say your computer is just altering the window focus without you realizing.

What is your laptop model number ?

9. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

Isn't there a setting in Chrome that auto refreshes the screen every x minutes? Right click and see if that option is ticked?

Edit: sorry, that's Opera.

10. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Happens when I use Firefox to

11. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

As I said it looks like you have Windows Basic Theme, if the window loses focus the title bar will go from blue to light grayish blue.

This is standard windows functionality, it will affect all apps if they are skinned with the standard windows theme.

I can't believe we are even discussing it.

You still haven't told me your laptop model number...

12. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Compaq cq58

13. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster