Laptop Help Needed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by postman, Aug 10, 2008.

1. postman

postman Byte Poster

My sons computer got wet from the rain today and it no longer boots up.

Do I give it a few hours and hope for the best or is it FUBAR and I'll have to get him another one?

WIP: A+
  2. SuPaStA

SuPaStA Nibble Poster

remove battery and wait till it drys.

Certifications: CCNA,MCSE,ITIL,Server+,Security+,N+...
    WIP: CCNP
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

It could be FUBAR, water can cause electronic circuitry to fail if you power it on while still wet.

Try using a hair dryer on it for a while, you need it to be 100% dry before you switch it on.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. SuPaStA

SuPaStA Nibble Poster

I would not suggest using a hair dryer as that will cause more damage on the board, why do you think we have heatsinks and fans in the pc to keep it cool.

Certifications: CCNA,MCSE,ITIL,Server+,Security+,N+...
    WIP: CCNP
  5. postman

postman Byte Poster

I was on whenever it got wet and whenever my son found it he tried turning it back on (he said it made a grinding noise).

WIP: A+
  6. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

ultimately. what do you have to lose from leaving it in a warm (but not too warm) place for a few days until it totally dries out, then trying to fire it back up again?

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  7. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

Actually, Bluerinse's suggestion will not lead to any harm. A hairdryer will not take any compoents to 60+ celsius.

The only concern is that the hairdryer could cause a very dry atmosphere and increase the risk of electrostatic damage. If a hairdryer is used don't touch anything until the 'dry heat' has subsided.

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.