Landed my first job, but slightly concerned

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by zet, Jan 13, 2011.

1. zet

zet Byte Poster

Hey guys,

Recently I've just been made an offer for my first IT job with a huge company. My problem is that I was made the offer at 23.5k and today I get phoned by the agency to say they made a mistake and it was 23.2k - I know the difference isn't that much but when it comes to money I don't like to screw around, any thoughts?

Certifications: BSc, MSc, A+
  2. Phil182

Phil182 Nibble Poster

And the problem is £300? Seems rather petty as mistakes do happen, in this climate be thankful you have a job and to be well paid lol

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
    Certifications: MCDST, MCP 70-271, NVQ IT Practitioner
    WIP: MCTS: SQL Server 2008
  3. zet

zet Byte Poster

Yeah you're right. The money isn't the problem, as I'm relocating it's most likely alot will be spent on food/rent etc. I just don't want to be taken advantage of :/

4. Phil182

Phil182 Nibble Poster

I wouldn't of thought you would be mate, agencies make a lot of mistakes mostly in the technical descriptions but still it's not the company you work for now that is at fault here, it's the agency so fear not.

Anyway congrats on the job and the decent starting wage :D

Good luck!

5. zet

zet Byte Poster

Haha, thanks mate! I was looking for reassurance thanks for providing it, much love :P

6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

your first IT job is paying 23k you should feel lucky. most people start well below 18k and more realistically 15k so you should feel lucky.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

See, for me it depends. If you were given the salary option in writing, then I wouldn't take less. But then, I am already in IT, so its a different position for me.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  8. Apoc220

Apoc220 Byte Poster

Congrats on the new job. As Phil said, mistakes happen, so make the most of this opportunity and welcome to the cool club, my friend.

Certifications: MCDST
    WIP: 70-680
  9. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

I want to hear more about this first IT job, 23k is disgustingly good for a first.

What is the role? and what not. Do tell :D

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  10. zet

zet Byte Poster

Yeah, you're 100% right. But just to point out I have to relocate so I now have to pay rent and I have a 30k student loan to pay off. I feel like I've just entered the grown-up world :rolleyes:

11. zet

zet Byte Poster

Ok, so it's a mixture of first line support (via email and phone), some travel to their different sites to do project work. They mainly work with linux and some windows products, they asked what I knew about networking ..so I presume eventually I'll be doing network stuff.

12. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

How did your interview go? you have any previous experience?

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  13. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

most people have had this for less pay including myself.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  14. Phil182

Phil182 Nibble Poster

On a completely different topic mate, get yourself an account on LinkedIn and start adding your collegues. It's a bit like facebook / twitter but for professionals, it'll become very handy when looking for progression in IT.

Feel free to add me if you like I'm Phil Beardshaw (Support Engineer at Ultra Electronics, Doncaster)

And you can join the CertForum group amongst others :)

15. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Would you really risk rocking the boat for less than £6 a week? The agency will have to go back to the employer and tell them you were throwing your rattle out of the pram for such a small amount.
    Personally, I would gladly trade £300 pa if it meant I was going in to a new job looking like I was flexible and willing to compromise on small details. The alternative is getting the extra cash but starting off on the wrong foot with your employer.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  16. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Could have been an honest mistake! However, I remember being sat in an interview for what I'd hoped would be my very first IT Job. The manger said:

"Ok Mr Dude, have you been given an indication of what the Salary is for the position?"

Me: "yes, the Agency informed me that it is 16k a year"

Manager: "well I can tell you that we are not offering that amount for this position. The salary is 10k per year"

Now this happened in 1999 and the impression I got from the manager was that he thought I was lying about what the agency told me because he said something like "I don't see how they could have got that wrong?"...anyway, it all went downhill and the interview was over in something like 20 minutes. No handshakes, no "we'll be in touch" just a "that's the way out" when we got back to Reception. Shame...because I really wanted the job too!

Anyway, the agency called me on my old brick of a Nokia mobile and I told them what had happened! Now...agency guy was pretty miffed! He got the job spec out etc and advised me that the salary was stated as 16k! After that I never heard anything again about that job!

Oh well...

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  17. zet

zet Byte Poster

I've got a linkedin account! I've never really used it, I'll add you guys.

Well, first I was late by about 20minutes. I had gotten lost on the motorway, I pulled over and let them know I was going to be late 30minutes prior to the interview. They said not a problem and later said if they hired me I would be mocked on this! The interviewers were very nice and sociable with no trick questions. They asked me what I knew about the company, networks and about my final year projects. The strongest point was talking about my programming. I then met with the HR person and she ran me through a few things, told me I came off as a pleasant and well presented person. After I thought I probably have not landed myself this job as a) I was late b) <insert many thoughts here>.

Oh, don't get me wrong I did tell the agency that this didn't matter and all is well. I just wanted the opinion of those who are experienced.

18. zet

zet Byte Poster

Omg Phil182, I just realised - Ultra Electronics was one of the companies I was going to interview for. Although the location was in Greenford. Small world.

19. Mariusz

Mariusz Byte Poster

mate, you complain about few hundred quit when you got first job with over 20k per year?
    you gotta be kidding me :ohmy
    after coming to UK I was working up to 80 hrs per week (happened once or twice, but 55-60 was normal), and I was getting about 19,5k per year out of full time and weekend part time, If somebody offered me 23k for the beginning I would be more than pleased :-)

Certifications: ECDL Extra, ITQ Lvl2, CompTIA A+, N+, S+
    WIP: MCTS 70-680 Win7
  20. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Congrats on the new role and make the best of it:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell