Landed a desktop engineer role...

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Kraven, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Kraven

Kraven Kilobyte Poster

Hey guys,

After 9 months of answering the phone to users and listening to their silly issues I have finally landed a desktop support role. I now have the chance to get some hands on and gain more experience.

The first 3 months will be dedicated to a new infrastructure being put in place so alot of moving equipment around, setting up machines, networking etc.

I finish my current job this Friday and jump straight into my new job on Monday, so no break lol.

Anyone currently in a 2nd line position? And what are your experiences when you first start this role?

Kraven

Certifications: Network+, MCSA, 70-680
    WIP: A+, 70-685
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Good news mate, good luck in the new position :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Congrats mate :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Folks, that's how it's done! :)

Glad to see you working your way up, Kraven! Major congrats! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Good job Kraven. Congrats on the job!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  6. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Great...congrats!

7. morph

morph Byte Poster

Good work dude :)

Certifications: Network +, ITIL Foundation, CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: server/ccna security
  8. Wassup

Wassup Byte Poster

congrats
    :)

9. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Congratulations Kraven - I did exactly the same thing as you in Nov 06, did 8 months on 1st line and then moved to desktop support. It can be good have a new infrastructure to play with, you get to find our all the bugs first :)

I'm currently in 2nd line desktop support - been 15 months now - when I started I found quite a bit to take on board and learn and the theory in books is OK but as every company is different the way they implement the MS stuff changes, so be prepared to think outside the box.

On the user-facing role, it made a complete change. I enjoyed actually visiting the users and chatting with them. I've worked in 3 places now (same company) over that time and have always found users that would be inviting, offer a coffee and happy for me to waste some time with them chatting about photography, IT, technology.... and of course, you always get the females users who are as fit as ....... :p :twisted:

Enjoy it! 8)

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  10. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Congratulations 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  11. Alex Wright

Alex Wright Megabyte Poster

Our Helpdesk (which I was working in) and Desktop Engineers have just merged so I'm not in the best position to "emphasize" with your situation. That being said, it sounds like you've really landed on your feet - best of luck!

Certifications: 70-680 Configuring Windows 7
    WIP: 70-642
  12. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Congratulations, Kraven. :D

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  13. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Congratulations Kraven and best wishes in your new role:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  14. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Congrats on the new position.
    Way to go... :thumbleft

15. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Well done dude, good work! :thumbleft

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  16. Kraven

Kraven Kilobyte Poster

Thanks for all the congrats guys.

I went for a quick visit today to find out where I'll be stationed etc. I met most of the team who all seem very nice. My new manager also took me around the server rooms which was heaven to me (First time being inside a server room), it was freezing and and it very windy lol.

Also met the unix team, the wintel team and some of the HR people.

Other than that I'm looking forward to monday, hopefully it will be a nice day as it was thrashing it down with rain today.

Thanks
    Kraven

17. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Sounds promising mate, remember to give us the 3 day review!

Best of luck :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  18. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

See this has you confused - the freezing and windy - it was outside, not a server room :twisted:

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  19. Kraven

Kraven Kilobyte Poster

Anyway for my 3 day review, well 4 day.

Been mainly shadowing one of the senior guys, but started doing my own stuff today.

On Monday, got a brand new machine which I ghosted myself and did a few jobs (No network connection, outlook issues), the day went very fast.

Tuesday and Wednesday did a few more jobs, installing a digital camera, another outlook issue and ghosted 2 machines and delivered them.

And then today we had 18 new Dell machines that needed ghosting to be rolled out on Monday. Did 9 today as well as a job this morning which I did by myself (Installing some software that needed local admin rights). I'll be ghosting the last 9 tomorrow and doing the paper work (Asset tags etc).

Seems all I've done all week is use norton ghost lol. Though it was a learning experience as I have never used it in a IT enviroment. I should hopefully be let out into the wild next week.

Kraven

20. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Sounds cool mate, let us know how it goes :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?