Lan Network - Important tips

Discussion in 'Networks' started by pitterson, Dec 5, 2009.

1. pitterson

pitterson New Member

Hello Everybody !!!

In a Windows Workgroup local area network environment, sometimes when you access neighborhood computer, it asks for password. Usually there is a guest user as a user name and password is empty to fill in order to access the PC. Now in offices and your private local area network this is not necessary option to have for users. If you disable that, You will no longer be asked for the password to access the neighborhood PC. This can be achieved via tweaking registry entries a bit.

-Click Start > Run > compmgmt.msc (or right click at My Computer icon at desktop and select manage)
    - Under Local Users and Groups select Users
    - In the right side, right click Guest and go to properties
    - Check "Account is disabled" option
    - You are done

Now whenever you will click the PC present in workgroup, it will not ask for login.
    Thanks.

2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I don't think I've ever worked in an office running a workgroup... :biggrin

And I don't think I've ever administered a machine that hasn't had he guest account disabled.
    Hasn't that been the default since XP SP2 or even earlier?

:blink

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well enabling the guest account is hardly tweaking the registry :biggrin

Doing that by the way, blows open the security of your box.

The best way is to create an account (a user) with a password, that matches on all of the computers that need to share resources.

So if you are Joe and your password is *blow*, sitting at Box A, and you want to access a share or a printer on Box B. Make sure Box B has a user account named Joe with a password of *blow* too. and you wont get prompted.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
    Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)