Laid off, what next

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by drkooper, Aug 29, 2013.

1. drkooper

drkooper New Member

Hello Everyone,

Been here for a while but never posted as got many answers without asking. However, I need some help with my current situation.
    I was working in 1st line IT support doing maintenance work, printers and all. The contract was for a year and the company did not renewed the contract.
    Been applying for job, got a couple of interviews but did not go through.
    Planning on doing Network + cert to help my job prospects.
    Can anyone advise what should be the best course of action for me?

Thanks in advance.

2. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

First, I'd say, make sure your CV is top notch. Up to date, and no errors. And make sure everything useful you did is on there. Then maybe practice interviews any which way you can. No one likes role play type prep, but it does work in terms of stopping your amygdala from freezing up your brain. And read through those prep things: it certainly helps to have thought about likely questions and good answers beforehand.
    Finally, LinkedIn and such. IT's a small world. We were looking for someone here a month ago. First thing we did was thought about people we've worked well with before, and tried to contact them. If you've made a good impression on people around you, there's a fair chance one of them might be in a position to point you at a job. And from their point of view, if they have worked with you and know you are good, it's far faster, cheaper and safer to hire you than to advertise or call in agents.

This thread has some good stuff.

Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?
  3. Stevie.f

Stevie.f Bit Poster

Agencies can be pretty good, especially if they take the time to go through your CV with you and help you get it up to scratch. I registered with a small local agency and they gave me some tips for changes to make to my CV, and those changes really did make a difference.

As The Zig says, networking is very useful. Ask people you have worked with before if there are any jobs available - if they do know about vacancies then they will probably put in a good word for you too

Certifications: BSc (hons) Comuter Networks, CompTIA Cloud Essentials