Lab Review 70-290 & 70-291

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by nightraven, Jul 6, 2007.

1. nightraven

nightraven Guest

Hi guys,
    I've create a lab setup based largely on the diagram from Phoenix. I've tried to make sure that it has everything I could need for the 70-290 and 70-291 exams but I'm sure it could be improved.

I'll also be placing client machines on each segment for testing and adding multiple disk configurations to each server.

Any suggestions welcome.

Attached Files:

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

hope you have plenty of space! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Looks very comprehensive to me. Just setting up such a lab will I'm sure have given you a valuble insight into what the 290/291 is all about.

Are they all pyhsical machines or have you set this up virtually?

I setup a fairly large lab at work when studying for the 291 and it difficult keeping it all tidy and easy to access. :)

Good luck anyway, cool diagram, but a bit small to read the fine detail I though.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  4. nightraven

nightraven Guest

I intend to build this in a virtual environment. I didn't do much planning before sitting down and designing the diagram, most of it was taken from Phoenix's ultimate lab. Beyond that I just thought about the areas Microsoft would be looking to test on those exams:

Active Directory
    DNS
    DHCP
    Clustering
    AD Sites
    Domain Trusts
    Disk Configurations
    and DR Situations

Here is a better quality copy
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/9767238@N07/754537339/

5. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Given that you haven't already set this lab up, my advice would be to start off small and build it up step by step as you cover each new topic.

You would be asking for trouble and a very big job to set that all up properly in one go.

Also you will find that the setup evolves as you add each part and start to configure and use it.

The lab that I setup (for the 291) was quite a bit smaller than the one you propose and I used physical servers and workstations. Like I mentioned earlier, that isn't always practical, but it good if you have the space and hardware to do it. Here is a link to the thread if you are interested.

Good luck setting your lab up and with the studies.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada