Lab for CCNA then CCNP

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by Dashik, May 28, 2012.

1. Dashik

Dashik Bit Poster

Hi.

I need to change career back to IT although due to my partner having Breast Cancer this has been delayed a little while she was undergong treatment.

I was previously a Senior Field Support Engineer in a past life a few years ago and was involved with basic network support (swap and reconfigure routers/switches etc). I got the inhouse company CCNA course from a CCIE but we did not get the exam.

So I'm going for CCENT/ICND1 in about 3 weeks followed asap (probably another 3 to 4 weeks) after with ICND2 for CCNA. I then plan on going for CCNP fairly rapidly after.

Im Using the Cisco Press/Wendel Odom official cert kit and the Tod Lammle Study Guide and review Guide along with a Network simulator for CCNA.

Ill get the official Cisco press CCNP Route, Switch and TShoot bundle shortly.

As with all things real hands on is always good so I have decided to get a few bits of real cisco kit.

So I was looking at the following kit for CCENT/CCNA -

CISCO 2610XM FAST Ethernet Router 32mb Flash / 128 mb Dram IOS 12.4 Adv Security with 4Serial Interfaces
    CISCO 2610XM FAST Ethernet Routers 16mb Flash / 64 mb Dram IOS 12.4 Adv Security with Serial Interface
    Cisco 2620 FAST Ethernet Routers 16mb Flash / 64 mb Dram IOS 12.4 Adv Security with Serial Interface

(2 x WIC-1T for the 2600 routers (100% Genuine Cisco)
    (1 x NM-4A/S comes with 2600 Router 100% Genuine Cisco)
    A Cisco 2950-24 Port Cost effective Switch with an Enhanced IOS

Cables & Other Stuff to go with the Lab.
    2 x Back to Back DCE/DTE Serial Crossover Cable,

3x Cat 5e Straight through Crossover Cables,
    5 x UK power cables (uk/ireland),
    3x Cat 5e Crossover Cables,
    1 x Console Cable

I can get it for around £250 from ebay (it's a 12 Port Networks kit) CISCO Lab CCNA CCENT CCNP CCIE(Router Switch WIC-1T 2610XM 2600 2620 2950 ) | eBay

So I think it should be ok for CCNA but what would I need to add/change for CCNP?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

James

Last edited: May 28, 2012
    WIP: CCNA/CCNP MCITP: SA & EA
  2. sammy_bibs

sammy_bibs Bit Poster

Hey James,

Looks good, you have your three routers for your core routing protocols that should work fine and your switches for Spanning-tree. If you want a complete lab for CCNP I would advise getting a layer three switch as the CCNP-SWITCH module has a lot of focus on L3 switching, and industry is heading that way as it's faster. They are pretty expensive though, see link below for one I use.

When I first did my certs I used all real kit as I thought it would be more interesting and fun, which it was. But the noise and cost became a pain. So if you would like a suggestion I would say check out GNS3 if you have not already seen it. You can use real Cisco IOS within it to emulate cisco router, and there is nothing out there as powerful as this (that I have seen). You can also link GNS3 to you LAN port on the host machine to hook up your layer three switch. GNS3 does not support layer three switching so well, its possible with a switch module in a router, but your better of with a real one.

And with GNS3 you can take it with you and study one the go instead of doing your real job, good old atl-tab!

I always run the 12.4 advipservicesk IOS when studying for R&S certs as they have all the functionlity required. But I am no IOS expert, so I cannont comment on the AdvSecurity.

CISCO WS-C3550-24-EMI SWITCH & Brackets LAYER 3 * 30 DAY WARRANTY * (0746320674391) | eBay

Good luck,

Sam

Certifications: CCNA, CCNP, SCSA, MCSA, BSc
    WIP: IINS
  3. Dashik

Dashik Bit Poster

Hi I do indeed have GNS3 :D

Although I'm currently a Driving Instructor so looking at GNS3 instead of the road........ :D

Thanks for the link to the switch.

4. sammy_bibs

sammy_bibs Bit Poster

Yea on second thought no GNS3 for you, however being a driving instructor is a bit like being a network engineer, you plan you route (look at the topology) you chose the quickest way to get there (ospf) and move you car (packet) through the roads! You will get this back in no time!

I did another quick look on ebay and you can get those switches quite a bit cheaper than the one I posted, as I am sure you have seen.

Certifications: CCNA, CCNP, SCSA, MCSA, BSc
    WIP: IINS
  5. Cunningfox

Cunningfox Byte Poster

Just to echo the others, the routers are good, 12.4 is really the key, you might find those guys a little slow though. If you are into your real kit I've grab a couple of more modern 1841's or similar for more speed. A couple of L3 switches will also be really good, 3550's are best spot pricewise I used 3, but 2 is plenty.

GNS3 is great for quick configs and turnarounds, BGP and switch work though is best done on the real kit.

Certifications: CCNP, CCNA, MCP
    WIP: ??
  6. Dashik

Dashik Bit Poster

So far then the kit I listed is fine for CCNA and I can also use GNS3.

At least one additonal 3550 for CCNP.

It would be advantageous to get two 3550 L3 switches and if I can afford it/or get a good initial deal etc, replace the 2610XM's with 1841's For CCNP.

Also use GNS3 for anything else.

If Im lucky and funds permit just go 1841's and 3550's from the off?

So a total of 3 Routers and 3 switches for CCNP.

All with IOS 12.4 or better etc.

At least thats what I understand from the above :D

7. Cunningfox

Cunningfox Byte Poster

I would add the 1841's not replace, the more complex you can make the network the more likely it will break and you will learn fixing it :). I would also go with 4 switches over 3, works better for the labs. My CCNP lab was:

3x 2610 (12.3), 3x 3640 (12.4), 3x 3550, 2x 2950, 1x 1841 (12.4) (from memory). If you search the forums from CCNP lab, I'm sure I've posted it before :).

Certifications: CCNP, CCNA, MCP
    WIP: ??
  8. Dashik

Dashik Bit Poster

Thanks for the replys.

So get the original kit I listed, then add 3550's and 1841 as required once I pass CCNA for CCNP :D

cheers.

9. Dashik

Dashik Bit Poster

Well a small update, I got the official Cert Guide for Route, Switch and Tshoot. Nothing like planning ahead ;)

I'm getting a few hours a day in at the moment on the study for ICENT1 and a lot of stuff is coming back from the CCNA course I did with the IT employer I was with a few years ago. So I'm going to see how the study goes and how well I feel I'm doing with it (so far its all making sense :D) and if I can get a test for ICND1 sooner and my partners cancer op goes to plan then I think middle of next month or earlier for that.

If not and I have to wait a little I think I'll go the all in one route as I can keep studying. I've checked and you can book the exam here on very short notice subject to availability so at least that's not so bad.

Anyway back to it :D

10. Dashik

Dashik Bit Poster

Ok so I just pulled the trigger on this lot

CISCO 2610XM FAST Ethernet Router 32mb Flash / 128 mb Dram IOS 12.4 Adv Security with 4 Serial Interfaces
    CISCO 2610XM FAST Ethernet Routers 16mb Flash / 64 mb Dram IOS 12.4 Adv Security with Serial Interface
    CISCO 2620 FAST Ethernet Routers 16mb Flash / 64 mb Dram IOS 12.4 Adv Security with Serial Interface

(2 x WIC-1T for the 2600 routers (100% Genuine Cisco)
    (1 x NM-4A/S comes with 2600 Router 100% Genuine Cisco)

£253 Delivered and I've had the memory etc maxed out.

I know you can shop around and get a slightly better deal, and while I'm far from made of cash, what with my partners pending Cancer op, I decided just to get it and save faffing around for weeks trying to save £20.

I'll add another couple of the Routers and a 3550 L3 Switch, which according to Wendel Odom's site CCNP Build Lists (who writes the Cisco CCNA Cert Guide) Gives me pretty much everything I need for a Large CCNP build after I get CCNA out of the way.

Thanks for the feed-back guys its been very useful.

I'll post pic when it all arrives.

11. Dashik

Dashik Bit Poster

Picture as promised. Just got the gear today. Not had a chance to play with it yet :D

[​IMG]

That's my light reading piles......