Konichiwa!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by faery_gold, Aug 17, 2007.

1. faery_gold

faery_gold New Member

Hi everyone,

I've done a degree in IT and since then have found it totally impossible to get a job in the industry, as a result I now work as a personal assistant!

I'm keen to get back into it and feel that getting certified, probably by working towards an MCAD, would be the way to do it.

Any advice you've got would be great, I've found this forum to be very informative already!

Ja-ne!

Certifications: None
    WIP: CompTIA A+
  2. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Greetings :)

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I am in the same position although I am not a perssonel assistant.

Most people who say study for the A+ then N+ then go on to microsoft subjects

The A+ will make you a qualified pc technicia the N+ will make you a profficient tech with networking knowledge.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If he wants to work towards programming, indicated by the MCAD, then the A+ and N+ won't do him much good.

So, Faery, what do you want to do in IT?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Hey and Welcome to CF.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi and welcome to CF. Having a degree in IT/computing will help you with your career development however you'll still face the same problems as everyone else when it comes to your first job in IT.

Advice: Don't give up, it took me over five years to get my foot in the door :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. Bonneville

Bonneville Bit Poster

It took me a number of years to get my first IT job. I graduated in 1996 with a Computer Science degree and got my first IT job in 2002!! During my 'time out' I made parts for prams an also made car radiators. During making radiators for the likes on Ferrari I embarked on the arduous task of studying for my MCSE (NT 4.0). This was not an easy task as I was regularly working 7 days a week and 10-12 hours a day.

At an interview with a recruitment agancy I was advised to get my MCSE, which I did. On returning to the same agency later on the recruiter said 'Ok, but where's your experience?". It's that same old senario. I know hard hard it can be to be given your first opportunity, but if you are determined then I am sure you wiil do it. Competition is harder now as more and more school kids are doing more IT in schools. A couple of our local secondary schools are offering CCNA courses which makes it harder for the older generations to find their IT job.

My first IT job was as a technician and my responsibility was to upgrade the systems for Windows 95 clients and Novel Netware 4.11. That was in 2002 and now I am the Network Manager and responsible for the upkeep of over 500+ workstations, 7 servers and two members of staff.

Chin up and keep trying. It CAN be done - trust me.

Certifications: MCSE, CCNA
    WIP: CCNA Security, CCNP
  9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)