Kit Question

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by Andy_M, Jul 3, 2010.

1. Andy_M

Andy_M Bit Poster

Hello,

I keep seeing that people buy kits to practise with, Is this needed? is it needed for ICND1? I have paid for both parts in training but won't take the ICND2 till I am comfortable with it, even after that 5 day training.

Is it worth buying a kit now so I am prepared for the ICND2?

At work we have two Cisco unmanaged switches, new equipment is needed (As we will require PoE in August, which the current switch lacks) and could get a managed switch but i presume this won't be enough as it appears I need a router (of which no use at work)?

Any advice on what you have done or what's best, also prices for good kits? I cannot afford brand new and would buy of ebay, but have no idea of what models or anything like that.

WIP: CCNA
  2. Andy_M

Andy_M Bit Poster

Is this kit worth bidding for?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/200488780543

3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

In my opinion it's always worth having hands on experience with the software\hardware that you're going to be testing against, it's no good having theory but no hands on.

If I were you I would be going for the lab kit but obviously only you can honestly say whether you need to or not.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. Andy_M

Andy_M Bit Poster

Maybe my best bet would be to wait till after the 5 day training (19th - 23rd July) and see how I feel after that, I believe GK offer a remote labs so might be worth seeing where I get with that.

I manage a small rack at work and get hands on cabling and plugging into switches, racking switches etc...

5. Andy_M

Andy_M Bit Poster

6. crazy horse

crazy horse Byte Poster

Hi Andy,

Take a look at this site:http://www.ciscokits.com/cisco-lab-suggestions/ it contains useful information and comparisons on the equipment needed for the CCNA.

Looking at that kit from ebay in your last post it's ok for CCNA level - you could probably do with getting more than 1 switch though, to practice trunking and spanning tree. You will be able to practice most of the CCNA concepts on it though.

Good luck with your studies

Crazy Horse

7. Andy_M

Andy_M Bit Poster

OK This is the kit I have purchased so far and decided to purchase items separate to save costs.

1x 2501 - IOS 12.1 (Used)
    1x 1760 - IOS 12.3 (Used)
    1x DCE/DTE (New)
    1x WIC-1T - for 1760 (New)
    1x Com Cable + Com to USB (New)

Next payday I will be getting these items

1x 2950 (Used)
    1x AUI Transceiver (Used)

The Ethernet cables I already have loads.
    I think the entire budget for this will come under £140

Hope this is good enough for the CCNA?

8. Andy_M

Andy_M Bit Poster

Just purchased the Cisco 2950 Switch
    This kit is coming well under the £140.

• 1x 2501 - IOS 12.1 (Used)
    • 1x 1760 - IOS 12.3 (Used)
    • 1x DCE/DTE (New)
    • 1x WIC-1T - for 1760 (New)
    • 1x Com Cable + Com to USB (New)
    • 1x 2950 24 Port
    Just waiting on last item for 1x AUI Transceiver (Used)

Cost (Excluding Delivery): £70.94
    Total Cost (Including Delivery: £100.93

I know that I may need 1 more switch & router for this to be complete, stay tuned.
    8)

9. crazy horse

crazy horse Byte Poster

Hi Andy,

Building yourself a nice little lab there 8) - for the ICND1 you're pretty much there!!

Agree, you could do with another router - maybe a 2600XM series as this will give you another 1 or 2 fast ethernet ports to play with as the 2501 only has serial connections and it will help with routing concepts. Also another switch (2924 or 2950) just as that gives you exposure to some of the ICND2 switching topics (spanning tree, vlans and VTP etc) to complete the lab - if your doing the two exam route then there's no reason why you cant practice on what you have now and then build it up as you get towards ICND2.

Also I know your going on a 5 day course but its always worth getting one of the books - the Tod Lammle is pretty good and you can also get the Cisco Press for ICND1 and ICND2.

Good luck!
    Crazy Horse

10. Andy_M

Andy_M Bit Poster

Crazy Horse,

Thanks for checking back on this thread, I have the Cisco Press ICND1 book and am just a little bit than half way through it. enjoying the read so far...

I think the 2600XM will be next on the list then when pay day comes, all the equipment will come under my budget so glad so far.

Been playing with the Packer Tracer with console and can just about get my way around using Tabs and Question mark, setting hostname and clock, MOTD seems easy also as I have experience with Linux console modes and SSH, but don't understand anything more, hoping the book later on or 5 day course will shed some light on it.

I also been watching CBT Nuggets and thats helped relate some things I didn't get in the book so far, they complement each other nicely.

Thanks again crazy! :biggrin

11. bazzawood30

bazzawood30 Byte Poster

I have just passed my CCNA, i did the icnd1 +2 exam route. I went to night school to do it and was able use their kit in class. I used packet tracer at home which will do nearly everything for both ICND1 & 2. The CBT nugget videos are great, using the tab and ? commands as he does in videos works really well. I practiced the command line stuff over an over and built loads of over complicated networks in packet tracer. Most of all learn the show commands most often in the exams you need to get information from the simulated kit.

good luck.

Certifications: ECDL,A+,N+,CCENT,CCNA,MCP,MCDST