Kinect

Discussion in 'Gamers Hangout' started by zxspectrum, Jun 8, 2011.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

I have one of these and i must say i think its rather impressive. I have your shape fitness, kinect adventures and game party.

One thing thats really going to wind me up is the fact a lot of games that will come out for the kinect in the future will be games that would normally need to to sit in a chair, to run around to shoot people or to play domething like fifa.

Now you cant get the full entirity of these types of gamesas they require more space than the kinect would allow, so whats the point, even thoguh i think the kinect is good i have noticed slight lag, from it picking up your movements, to it being processed into the game etc.

I suppose what im trying to say is that some games should be left alone because simply put, they will never beable to adapt unless technology gets to a point where you can immerse yourself in a game completely, like the film Gamer.

Its not a kinect problem either, i was playing command an conquer on the pc the other day, which is done with a mouse, ie point and click, yet i also played Red alert on the xbox, and hated it as id rather have the point and click approach rather than the pad in the hand with the stupid option wheel.

I hope your getting what im saying, as im rubbish at getting my point across lol.

Im loooking forward to the tennis for the xbox, if its as good as the wii sports tennis, then youll have loads of fun with that, i used to play that for 3 or 4 hours, i liked it that much.

What about everyone else, what do you think

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

No I get what you mean mate so you're coming across fine. I 'think' I know what you mean, sometimes you want to just sit off with some beers not jump around. I think tho thats why games on consoles will almost always have a 'pad' option. The Kinect is just a bonus if you're in the mood IMHO. I might trade my fat older 360 in for a slim with a Kinect at some point.

Some games will always be better on PC I think, especially point and click as you say.

Did I miss you getting your Degree Ed? I don't remember seeing you pass it :S sorry

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I think you are missing the point to be honest. The core Kinect games, are generally more social/family type games - ie those for kids, or for having a laugh. It's unlikely to change much from that, not for quite a while anyway.

That said, the fitness ones are pretty good, as is Wi..*cough*..Kinect Sports - very energetic, and pretty good at mapping your actions. Sure there is an element of lag in Kinect Sports, but not enough to stop it being fun.

I've just finished watching the 90 minute Xbox briefing at E3, and I have to say that for the most part, the games showcasing kinect aren't really "getting" it. Having snared the casual market with Kinect (and pretty well I would say, compared to the competition it is brilliant), they are now turning their attention to the hardcore gaming market. General consensus is that whilst some of the things they are doing is pretty cool, it's not anything that can't be done with a headset and a controller.

The ME3 demo showed voice commands selecting dialog options, but also VC's controlling NPC actions in the game. Rather than switching to them and telling them what to do, you can issue a voice command to "move up", or cast "singularity". It's pretty cool, but I seem to recall a Rainbow Six game touting the same feature a few years back.

Ultimately I think it will be difficult or nigh impossible to get Kinect as a core gameplay mechanic in any "hardcore" game. People arent going to use it where a controller can achieve the same, and any developer making it a core mechanic in these types of game aren't going to do well.

That said, remember that Kinect as a technology is still in its infancy, it still has a whole world of things that can be done with it. I'm looking forward to seeing what the developers can come up with. some will flop, but some will do well - it's no different from any other games market really.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Yes JK, ive passed, but the offcial day of results is July 6th. Going through the process of applying for jobs and getting experience doing volunteer work. Started the ECDL as ive seen companies asking for it, time to start thinking of other certs, to go with any experience i can get

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Personally I think the main problem with these things (and I'm including the Playstation move and even, to a certain extent, the Wii) is space.
    Whenever you see them on promotional vids, everyone using them has a living room the size of an aircraft hanger, where four people can run around in a carefree way.
    Last time I played Kung Fu on the move I punched my son in the head and then tripped over the sofa.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. applejack

applejack New Member

That´s so true, space is just a big problem with these games. As normal people don´t have the huge livingrooms they have in the promo vids the reality is just people bumping into each other and knocking down chairs and stuff.

7. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

So not all bad then ? :wink:

8. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Ah no need to blame the universe mate.......

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  9. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

It just seemed to make the Playstation surplus to requirements.
    Just like playing in the olden days...

10. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Well, it is the Final Frontier...

B@5tard. :x

11. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

It's a fun little device, I invite some friends over now and then, we make lunch or dinner and play various Kinect games in between. It's funny looking at the photos it takes and so on, but there's a few flaws with it nevertheless.

Some games have more latency than others, the video capture is pretty low rez and it just captures hands as big blobs, not individual fingers. But this shuld change with Kinect V2 I hope. Would love to play an FPS using Kinect, IF it was accurate enough ;)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  12. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Actually Shi, thats just the way the Xbox implements Kinect for latency reasons
    the actual sensors can track individual fingers and even eyebrow movement, obviously those kind of calculations just add processing overhead to the Xbox interface and serve little purpose in that space, but with the Kinect SDK for windows, who knows
    and yes, V2 will be much improved i imagine, also the technology is still open to higher end applications, Kinect was also designed as a cheap technology to supplement a gaming console, nothing to stop someone marketing a 500 version with hi def cams and greater motorized tracking for a commercial space as these apps come into play

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  13. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Indeed, some rumors did say we might release an update which can track individual fingers and take higher rez shots. Hopefully soon!

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM