Kindle reader v android tablet

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by j1mgg, Jun 30, 2011.

1. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

Hi,

Was looking at getting the other half a kindle for her birthday as she is always reading books but have the problem of only being able to take 1 or maybe 2 away with her when on holidays. It occured to me even more so lately as she is going to work in singapore for 3 weeks but will barely be able to take a couple of books cause of weight.

A guy at work also has an android tablet and i see you can get kindle reader fo it plus you would have the benefits of surfing the internet and doing other stuff compared to the kindle reader 3g. The difference is only about £50 but the pros for the kindle are the battery lif size and the fact she isnt really techy and also has a bb torch if she really needed to surf the web.

It would appear from Fergals thread IIRC that everyone that has got one has had only good things to say about it but was just looking for more pros or cons.

Just seen that they have an experimental browser which would be good especially if it could be used with the global 3g.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
    Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  2. mcrilly

mcrilly Byte Poster

Kindle. Fin.

Certifications: CCENT
    WIP: CCNA, RHCE, & VCP
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I was under the impression is that the main benefit with a Kindle was the fact that it doesn't have a backlit screen which is easier on the eye than tablets.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

if it's for reading, get a kindle
    I have an iPad, an iPhone and a Kindle, and i can't read for any length of time on the iPad (sure, i can if the work is graphical in nature, or light on text, or im researching using search/scanning techniques)
    if you are reading books, get an e-reader
    if you want to browse the web, check email, surf, get a tablet
    if you need to do both, get both :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  5. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I'd echo what the others have said. If it's going to be for reading you should get a dedicated ebook reader as they are much better at doing that job than anything else. Mainly because of the e-ink technology and the fact it isn't backlit. Also e-ink increases in contrast the more light that goes on it, so you can read in bright sunlight which of course is pretty much impossible on a regular screen (be it a tablet or otherwise).

The dedicated ebook readers tend to be much easier to hold for long periods also, whereas pads can be quite heavy (especially the ipad).

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  6. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

What he said for all the same reasons. For what its worth the web browser on the Kindle is fine for reading the news websites and even facebook. Battery life is legendary so you charge it before you go and leave the chargers at home, maybe take the usb to micro cable at most. Another consideration is the weight, the Kindle is light and uber thin, even the lightest tablet is a brick compared it.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  7. strayduck9

strayduck9 Bit Poster

I second the Kindle. Got one at Xmas and absolutely love it. My bank balance doesn't because it's encouraged me to buy more books!

I also have the kindle app installed on home pc, macbook and work pc. This allows me to sync all the books i have purchased to those machines. think you can have 4 or 5 in total

8. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

Looks like it will be a kindle then.

Going to go for the 3g wifi one then it means she can use it abroad(after i have obviously forums and stuff) to look at facebook and read the news and so on. Wont be getting it till the end of august for her bday so it is all about finding the cheapest price and xtra stuff about it.

Cheers for the replies

9. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Watch out for those 3G roaming costs if you're planning on using it abroad.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  10. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

I knew i was missing something out. I automatically assumed global 3G they were meaning it was free all over the world and thinking what a deal, looked at it closer and it looks like it onlys means that you can use a 3G connections in over 100 countires.

11. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I assumed exactly the same thing to be honest. I have never used it abroad, but I got the impression it was free to use worldwide for downloading / browsing purposes. Naughty Amazon!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
  12. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

Have decided to get her the kindle with wifi only and now looking at cases. Is a built in light needed when reading at night or does the screen produce enough light to be able to see the lettering?

Cheers

13. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

The screen isn't lit in any way (it's to do with it being e-ink tech). So if you want to read in the dark you will need a light source. I have the leather cover with the light that it powered by the Kindle battery. It's very good actually, but pricey for what it is (was £50 when I got it).