Kiddie Dreams and Purple Carrot Sticks

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Arroryn, May 19, 2007.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

The purple carrot sticks aren't entirely relevant :)

But they have a mild point. Back when everything and anything was possible (generally prior to puberty and/or higher education!) what did you want to be? When your teachers and parents and friends asked, and when you were playing make believe, what did you say you were going to be?

And have you ended up doing anything near that?

Relating to this, if a great Moomin-shaped comet were to slam in to the earth tomorrow, and you knew it would all be coming to an end, would you regret anything?

For as long as I could remember, I have wanted to be a writer. And if I knew my life would end tomorrow, I would regret, right down to my boots, at not having ever written the novel that's been buffeting around my head for god-knows how long.

So the inevitable... no I'm not leaving IT - I work in First Line support! And I'm still going to be around Certforums just as much as before - perhaps even slightly more so. But my certifications are taking a back burner. After reading about how Wizard was pursuing what his heart wanted, and after a bit of contemplating, this book is something I have to finish. So prepare for wishy-washiness and rambling posts. And talking about alliteration. And crap :)

EDIT: the prologue of my story is attached. Just in case anyone is interested in the genre I want to write in. If any of you saw the poems I put on TU in my brief posting stint there, you'll have an idea of my writing style.

So what was your kiddie dream? What did you want to be? Firefighter? Hairdresser? :biggrin :p

And if you are doing your kiddie dream/dream job now, how does it feel?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. Quarky

Quarky Byte Poster

Arroryn, you do it bud. :D

Funny enough, the wife and i were talking about this last night while listening to the appalling drones coming from the tv, my wife is good with words and she feels the compelling need to write a novel also. Appartently it's quite common but not many actually get through the immense amount of hard work and preperation which is needed, so if you've made the decision to do it then i hope that you manage to do it bud, i love to see determination in people.

Personally, i spent a lot of a lot of years not actually knowing what the hell i wanted to do. I used to think that i simply had no aims or goals but being a bit older now i realise that in reality i wanted to do so many things that they all cancelled each other out and it was a complete impossibility, in the end i didnt decide or focus on anything in particular.

I'm totally focused on IT now and intent to see it through for the rest of my years but if i could turn back time knowing what i know now - i'd definately want to be a physicist.

:D

Certifications: A+,270,271,272 (MCDST)
    WIP: Master CIW
  3. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Just noticed this thread, still got a way to go yet, got to try and get a handle on my debts that have now taken a turn for the worst. The path to your dreams is never smooth, littered with huge potholes.

I could never make my mind up what I wanted to do as a kid, went from wanting to be a bank manager to a vet to a priest, never going to do any of those things. Especially the banking part.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  4. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I would have thought the priest part would be the difficulty now!

Apart from the debt, how is it going chasing your dream of the proof reading?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Ever thought about writing IT stuff? 8)

When I was a kid, I wanted to be a surgeon, but by the time I started college, I had decided that I should pursue a different career if I wanted to be able to spent time with a potential wife and family... the long hours early in my career would have killed that. So I went to school to be a scientist, but by the time I got my BS, research companies were looking chemists with Masters degrees, so I took my love of computers and developed it into an IT career.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Ground to a halt at the moment, due to financial headaches.

7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Speak to your bank manager mate, or try and get your cash flow sorted! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

It's my nice bank manager that got me into this mess, think I'll pass :)

9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Ack well, in all seriousness you don’t want ‘financial headaches’ to stop you doing what you really want to do. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. d335b1tc4z0r

d335b1tc4z0r Bit Poster

i still dont remember, either i had a deprived childhood or im developing amnesia due to old age. what did i wanna be i dunno. :biggrin

yeah i wont have any regrets if i pop up off today, bar one. it wouldve been ace to see the world properly. theres so much beauty on this planet - ive seen a few nice places, but theres sooooooo much out there! :biggrin

as for the money thing, money isnt everythin. this week my bank balance will rocket thanks to the small matter of a house sale. not sure if the stress of it was worth it, im exhausted :biggrin