Keyboards

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by aw69, Sep 9, 2006.

1. aw69

aw69 Byte Poster

Is it just me with keyboards or do others have this problem. I was using a keyboard at work confirm my jobs I'm a driver and spent ages looking all round for the keys to use but at home as of now I think I'm reasonably confident with my keyboard I still look at the keyboard alot but I'm happy with the way I use it . Even when i use my brothers pc it's the same.I can use both hands but only one finger on each hand but at work it was one finger and waving it about looking for the keys as though i have never used a keyboard before

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+ Network+
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

are the keyboard different, like oine being those ergonomic keyboard where its bent in half and the other is the usual flat straight ones?

3. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

aw69,

"Qwerty" keyboards have the letter positions of a->z and the number positions of 1->0 in common. The rest of the keys are up to the keyboard manufacturer how they want to put them in relation to the letters and numbers.

You are doing good since I'm assuming that you use both hands at home and how you're trying to use both hands on your brother's pc. At work, it may be a high chance that there are no standardized keyboards. Add to the non-standardized keyboard issue with the differences between an IBM keyboard, an Apple keyboard, and a Sun keyboard, not to mention other kinds of keyboards. Other kinds of keyboards to include the Dvorak keyboard, cell phone keyboards, and ergonomic keyboards (that either encourage or force you to touch type with all nine fingers ).

Don't feel bad about your non-standard typing. I once had a roomate who would use like five fingers (left middle, left index, right middle, right index, right thumb) in a wild flurry of fingers, yet was able to type as fast, if not faster than me with all nine "proper" fingers to type. Also, based on your post you mention that you're a driver. As a driver, your natural position for your fingers are wrapped around the steering wheel, gear shift, and other interior equipment. So relatively speaking, the "keyboard order" for typing is relatively "weird" compared to what you normally use your fingers and hands for.

So I would suggest that you practice getting faster and faster with your current method of typing, even though it's not the "proper" nine finger touch typing method. Your main job is driver and not administrative assistant. As mentioned, there are at least three different types of keyboards depending on the computer it's being used with so it's understandable that you might use the "single hand and finger hunt and peck" method of typing. Getting faster at typing on strange keyboards is a matter of exposure to the keyboard, practice at that specific keyboard, and frequency of the practice at that specific keyboard. So don't be too hard on yourself.

I hope this helps.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  4. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

why nine fingers and not ten?

5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Continually practise typing the following sentence (that contains all letters of the alphabet) and so will help with your keyboard skills .....

The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog

HTH :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  6. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

TheCheekMaster,

I only use my right thumb for the space bar, therefore I do not use my left thumb for the space bar, therefore nine fingers not ten. For those who want to start the argument that thumbs aren't fingers, drink something and shush. :D

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Thumbs are not fingers <glug glug glug> :morebeer :D

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Thumbs and fingers are all digits thought so it's good enough for me.

I bought a Teach Yourself to Touch Type program from Tesco for 99p a few months back. I learned to touch type in six weeks spending about four hours a week on this program. I did it mainly because I was developing RSI or Carpal Tunnel Syndrome or something and it helped with that, but it's also made a massive difference to my productivity.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  9. aw69

aw69 Byte Poster

thanks for all your replies,as far I know the keyboards at work are the same as what I'm using now. I have downloaded a typing program free off download.com and I use that to practice with

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+ Network+
  10. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I should only have 4 fingers, thats all I type with :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  11. mosab_uk

mosab_uk Bit Poster

hmm come to think of it.. looking at myself type, i only use one finger on my left hand, and 3 fingers on my right.. :unsure thats weird. thing is, i aint that bad at typing.. infact! - looking at the computer screen i can still type.

i went on holiday in august to Tunisia, the keyboards over there are french! - it isnt querty and everythings in disabled positions :blink ... it took alot of money to get used to it in the internet cafe at the hotel because i wasted most my time searching for the silly keys, rather than doing what i intended to do on the internet!

- Mossy

WIP: Cisco
  12. Baba O'Riley

Yep, if it can be done differently, the French will.

I had to learn to type all over again when I went to live there and then unlearn it all when I came back. It took me ages.

13. mosab_uk

mosab_uk Bit Poster

LOL!!!:hahaha

14. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

True the same with their TV broadcast system, they couldn't choose PAL like the rest of europe oooo noooo let's have SECAM instead :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  15. BobT

BobT Nibble Poster

Hi Baba - I can recommend the operation for Carpal Tunnel. I timed the surgeon when I had my right hand done - 2Mins35Seconds from the first slash of the knife till the last stitch went in :ohmy . It's a stroll....... Mind you, the 12 weeks recovering was a bit of a bugger, have you ever tried showering with your wrist covered in a Tesco carrier bag, not easy:blink, even with the the wife helping. In an effort to reduce the possibility of the Carpal Tunnel returning I have changed the mouse button configuration to left-hand. The good news is that now C.T. is developing in my left hand. Wot! More surgery? Hi don't fink so!!:eek: Regards.

Certifications: Bugger All
    WIP: A+ Network+ Server+ Security+MCDST
  16. Baba O'Riley

Thanks Bob, but it's nipped in the bud. I couldn't convince my old doctor there was anything wrong so I switched GPs and she concluded I was sleeping on it in a funny way. She got me a splint to wear at night for a few weeks and touch wood, I've been fine since. I've always used wrist rests at home and I talked work into buying me some and they help loads as well.

17. BobT

BobT Nibble Poster

Glad it's on the mend.

Certifications: Bugger All
    WIP: A+ Network+ Server+ Security+MCDST
  18. mosab_uk

mosab_uk Bit Poster

...I dont get it, is that a solid recommendation? :blink

19. Baba O'Riley

Which part?:blink

20. mosab_uk

mosab_uk Bit Poster

Oh sorry, the fact that he was concious enough to count the time it took to operate! - i would get them to inject me with 500 sleep injections till im nocked out cold.

and the tesco bag.. nevamind about that:rolleyes: .
    and changing the mouse button to be used by your left hand when your right handed - :ohmy

Glad its ok now baba.:cheeseyg