key ports?

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by zxspectrum, Jul 13, 2006.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

hello people, hows life treating you

Im having trouble with my connection, to the net. I have a BT 205 asdl modem and that goes into a belkin wireless router and im on the wireless cards. Now ive been using a p2p site and it seems to take over my computer. Its ok for downloading usually, but say just leave it running, my MSN gets booted and i cant get firefox to work oreven my BT pages to come up.

Now the p2p site doesnt always stay connected and thats when i shut it down, but then i still cant get into MSN or firefox even after a reboot?? it seems to take a while for me to get back onliune at all. Msn has a fault finder, but im not sure how acurate it is as it will differ to whats causing the fault. Sometime i get IP fault, which when i check the connections they seem fine etc, then it will say either DNS (what does that stand for) and key ports ?

Any clues anyone, and is there anyway i could modify so that the programs dont conflict with each other ? :biggrin

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hm - why are you using two routers? This will be giving you double NAT (unless you have something special in the Belkin) which may cause 'fun'.

Excessive use of p2p may cause all sorts of probs - many IPs now 'shape' the traffic, and if you use p2p a lot you may find your connection throttled - depends in the ISP really.
    DNS stands for "Domain Name System" (or service) and is the system that converts names of sites that you know into IP addresses that the TCP/IP system needs.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. zxspectrum

Sorry Harry, i was a bit misleading there, its a 205 asdl modem and that connects to a router, via ethernet, then im sent all the info to my wireless card etc, shared connection etc. What do you mean by NAT, all i can think of is Network access traffic/transfer?

4. hbroomhall

The 205 is a router as well as a modem (as far as I can tell from BT's web site). So you are using two routers.

NAT is Network Address Translation. You only have one IP address (normaly) from your ISP, so most of these types of routers are setup to translate that into a private IP address so you can hang multiple devices on them.

Harry.

5. Gaz 45

Gaz 45 Kilobyte Poster

Yup, the 205 is a router and a modem. Got one at home.

Certifications: MCP (70-229, 70-228), MBioch
    WIP: MCDBA (70-290)
  6. zxspectrum

Well you are both right, now the reason why we have the wireless set up is because my computer is in my bedroom and hers is downstairs. Now the wireless connection has just cut out on me again, and now im backon etc, so i havent had the p2p site on , just the normal net ?? The onlt thing i can think of is that she has moved from one room to another, but its only and extra metre from where it was originally, and ive done a virus and spyware scan and everything is ok ? so what else could it be ?

7. hbroomhall

WiFi is notoriously flaky. Moving about can easily cause problems, and rooms can cause 'standing waves' to be set up.

In addition interference can cause this.

Best test is to put a machine direct on the main router via Ethernet and check with that when problems happen.

Harry.

8. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

wireless wireless wireless...not as secure as most people think...in fact I have found an article on our Apple support page that actually lists the potential and possible intereferences for wireless connections and my God there are things even I didnt think were possible to disrupt wireless connection....if anyone would like to know what these are just PM me and I will send you the link...but spectrum the other guys are all spot on with their info....

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  9. zxspectrum

cheers for all your help guys, just thinking, will the new wimax setup be more or less on the same frequency, ie radio waves ?

10. hbroomhall

Er <giggle> "Will my boat be on the Atlantic or the Indian Ocean (its all water)"

Sorry to poke fun - but radio covers all the way from below Long Wave (look at an old radio) to radar - taking in everything in-between!

WiMax is currently (in the UK) slated to be on a different frequency than WiFi - from first reports it will be higher. This means that it will be even more flaky.

The basic rule with radio is that it is *not* reliable! Remember the reports from 7/11 when the fire crews found that their radios didn't work a lot of the time. And from our own 7/7 when the same problem occurred.

If you assume that any radio system won't work sometimes then you won't be disappointed!

Harry.

11. zxspectrum

Giggle all you like Harry, if you dont ask you dont get etc lol. I was looking forward to wi max as well, oh well.