key finder

Discussion in 'Software' started by zxspectrum, Jun 29, 2010.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

I have windows 7 on my laptop, and i wish to reformat this laptop as i want ot stick it on ebay, it originally cam with vista for which i have the product key and if i had a disc id be tempted to reformat the whole thing with vista, but i dont and to be honest it works great with windows 7.

The windows 7 is also genuine, i got it through uni via download so i installed it etc, now i can get hold of a windows 7 disc, but i cant find were i wrote the product key down, so what do i do. Ive emailed the place where i got the windows 7 from and ive not heard from them yet, is there a way of finding out the product key, in a file etc or via a shortcut. Or has that been diabled????

Thanks for any help

ED

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. DC Pr0Mo

DC Pr0Mo Kilobyte Poster

Couple of apps that may help you.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

Certifications: MCDST | BSc Network Computing | 365 Fundamentals
  3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

You can see the Key on the system properties page of the machine I believe. This link Talks you through changing it, but the screenies show you where the product key is (It does say ProductID, and seems to be in a different format than expected in the screenshots, so it might be worth double checking).

That said, if you bought Win7 via a student license, then unless you are selling the laptop to another student, technically the new user would be in breach of the EULA, since the student license is only valid for current students.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
    Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

You know Fergal, i never thought of that?? Ill reformat it with vista premium, as thats what came with it, cheers for the heads up though

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  5. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Also worth noting, any VLK\MAK will not show up with the likes of Magic Jelly Bean or Everest, they are all either XXXX's or BBBB's etc.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA