Kernel module experiance

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by Phoenix, Jul 13, 2004.

1. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Does anyone have any experiance with compiling drivers from source and or re compiling the kernel with new drivers?

I just got my new 200gb drive and a 4pt SATA card to power it but FC1 fails to auto detect it and will need a manual driver adition, which isnt available in rpm for anything newer than Red Hat 8 (which doesnt work on FC1 it seems)

if anyones done this let me know what i need to have a look at :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

never mind I got it working this morning, managed to compile the drivers from source into a module, then added them to the kernel with modprobe

didnt even need to boot, the drive was accessable as soon as the modprobe had completed :P

3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Good one Phoenix.
    Maybe you could do a step by step on how you compiled the source code and added the module to the kernel. I would also like to compile my own kernel but where to start...??

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

well there was no kernel recompiling involved, which unfortunatly means i will have to modprobe <driver> every boot, but i have concoted script to run at startup to rectify this :)

i will look into if i can re compile the module into the kernel itself, that would save me some headaches

im looking to revive my TOTD thread so I will come up with a few ideas to post :)