kernel architecture mapping to OSI model

Discussion in 'Networks' started by tripwire45, Sep 6, 2003.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

No, I haven't suddenly become smarter, but I'm trying to find a diagram that compares the changes (if any) between Windows 2000 and Windows XP in terms of the OS architecture: user mode/kernel mode. Mappings to the OSI model would be a plus. The downside of the internet is that you can't ask a search engine a question the way you can ask a person (guess AI hasn't come that far yet). Thanks.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

No one seemed to want to tackle this one. Just as well, I asked for help from a buddy of mine who loves to look into this sort of thing and even he couldn't find anything as specific as I was looking for. Near as I can figure it, the NT OS kernel is the core for NT/2000/XP and maps out to the OSI model pretty much in the same way. I won't go into the whole thing about user mode/kernel mode (aka ring 0 and ring 3) since it doesn't really apply to day-to-day computer use, but it is an interesting subject. I submitted my project yesterday and I think the info I did come up with is fine. For those of you who took a look and tried to puzzle it out, thanks. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+