Keeping track of knowledge

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Taita, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Taita

Taita Nibble Poster

Hello there,

I'm about to really get into my learning, and was wondering if anyone had any pointers on what they use to keep track of stuff.

I could get a copy of OneNote (don't have a Wacom) / Evernote (frilly), and I've got some mind mapping software.

Do you guys just have a binder and A4 pages? I'd like info to be quick to enter, but also easy to refer back to at later points.

I'm working from MS Press books, and some VTC videos.

Regards
    T

Certifications: A+ N+ MCP
    WIP: MCSE
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

I'm also studying at the moment for my MCDST cert and for me... the best thing to use is a pen and paper (+ highlighters for important info).

My two cents...

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. tbone152

tbone152 Nibble Poster

Good old pen, paper and hilighter pen for me too!

T

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: 70-270
  4. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  5. Dullage

Dullage Byte Poster

Studying for N+ at the mo and I'm using Google Notes, mainly because I'm a big fan of Google. I also have OneNote installled on my laptop but I havn't tried it yet......may give it a go tonight?

I did use to use pen and paper but I found myself reluctant to take notes as I hate writing! :twisted:

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network +
  6. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Taita,

What kind of thinking do you do best? Linear, graphical, both, or something else?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Me too

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. Taita

Taita Nibble Poster

I am unsure. I am not artistic, quite logical.

I found that mind maps are quite useful, but I spent more time writing the maps piecemeal, than actually learning. I think maybe I should read the whole section, then do the maps. Not paragraph by paragraph.

My copy of OneNote 2007 isn't working due to some issue with having a 2007 beta installed, so am using 2003 for now.

Certifications: A+ N+ MCP
    WIP: MCSE