Justifying exam choices

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by simonp83, Feb 20, 2010.

1. simonp83

simonp83 Kilobyte Poster

I seem to be getting more and more stick from my work colleagues for the exam choices i'm making and my plans, especially when it comes to choosing to do exams like the 622 and the 682 and the Server+ instead of just going on and doing the 290 and 291.

Such comments as "why are doing the 622 when all you need to do is the 290 and 291 and you're an mcsa" or "why are you planning on gettings the windows 7 cert when you already have the 620 as your client exam for the mcsa"

It's not going to make me change my mind and money isn't a problem as work pay for the exam fees but has anyone else come across this before?

Current plan is to do the 290 and 291 over the summer holidays when work is quiet, after completing the 622, upgrading my est to an edst7 and Server+, might even look into the 624 as well if i have a spare month before July.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP
    WIP: 70-291
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Nobody's business but yours mate.
    Just sit the exams that you feel ready for.

While there is some value in steering your exam choices through 'levels' such as doing one that will complete the requirements for a certain higher cert such as MCSA, that will all come together in time.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. PPD2387

PPD2387 Byte Poster

It's up to you what you study for - I'd just ignore them

4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Provided you're getting certified in what you work with & not trying to use certifications as a sub to experience, I don't see why they should be doing that. The only time you'd (really) have to justify what you're studying is when/if you're getting sponsored to do professional development (CPD) thru, eg work... As they are the ones paying/investing in you.

As an IT manager (back then I was a senior tech) I did my MCDST after I gained my MCSA, why? Because I was (and still am) working with that technology.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I would hazard a guess and say these people don't like to improve themselves and see those that do as a challenge and are trying to dissuade you. It's not their concern what exams you want to follow, as long as your employer is willing to pay for the exams and it's not detrimental to you or them then I really wouldn't worry about it.

Let me put it another way, and perhaps this is a tad harsh. Do YOU care what these people are saying to you? Do YOU value their advice and experience? Are they people you look to for career advice and mentorship? If you have answered yes to any of those questions then perhaps you should consider it, if however you didn't then f*** em.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  6. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Your work colleagues sound like a bunch of diks, do whatever certs you want to do. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. simonp83

simonp83 Kilobyte Poster

Oh wow, MCDST after MCSA lol.

I don't care what they think and my argument is that we support Vista and studying for the 622 has really opened my eyes to whole new ideas on troubleshooting and supporting Vista so i don't care.

Most of them aren't certified and quite a few are only really starting it since i've become more and more into the certification route. Even got a chart next to my machine with all the certs :).

Was just wondering if anyone else had ever felt pressurised to go down a particular route by work colleagues rather than work itself.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP
    WIP: 70-291
  8. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Good on ya :)

No...

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you think that's bizarre, I got the A+ after I got the MCSE and CCNP.

Exactly this. Certification isn't a race to get to the "next level"... it's to show an employer what you can do for them.

Best thing you can do at this point is to educate them on what certification is all about... because it's obvious that they don't understand its purpose.

Peer pressure never worked much on me. :) Why join on board with what everyone else thinks if what they think isn't logical?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!