Just the essentials for essentials?

Discussion in 'A+' started by Dexter, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Dexter

Dexter Nibble Poster

Hi everybody. I need some advice.

I've been studying with Mike Meyers AIO 6th for about four months now and have been gearing up for my essentials. I've found the book to be, generally speaking, very good and have enjoyed the read however my experiences with the CD and more importantly the aided practice test have caused me some worry. THe problem is not necessarily with what I scored or with my own knowledge even but with the fact that some of the questions in teh essentials test aren't covered in the "essentials" sections of the book but are instead in the "IT Technician" parts. In fact one was in the HIstorical/Conceptual part (chapter 10 to be exact). This leaves me thinking that if the essentials test on MIkes own CD doesn't correspond to whats in his own book am I leaving too much to chance for the real exam?

I've covered the essentials sections quite solidly but I've not "studied" the HIstorical/Conceptual parts, I've only read them and now I feel like the only way to arm myself properly for teh exam is to study the whole book before taking even the essentials :ohmy

Has anybody else found the same? Maybe I'm overreacting but I have to travel a fair distance and these exams aren't cheap so I don't fancy finding out the hard way.

Any advice would be greatfully received :cry:

Certifications: A+ N+ MCDST
    WIP: LPIC-1 - HTML - MYSQL
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Number one rule is always read around the subject. Don't limit yourself to just one section of the book, or even just one book. Read elsewhere as well.

In *theory* mastering the 'essentials' perfectly should give you a pass. But none of us can claim perfection, so to be safe read the rest!

And the history of PCs often gives a clue as to why things are the way they are!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

As Harry says read the whole subject and as much of anything else as you can.

You wouldn't have the Pentium processor without the 8086 being developed, you wouldn't have networks without different network protocols like TCP/IP and NetBUI etc.

Its always good to study as much as possible in order to gain a thourough knowledge of a subject.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. greenbrucelee

Also the parts in the book were it says Essentials don't mean those bit are in the essential exam, anything could be in the exam.

Same with the other exams like IT technician.

I doubt you will get a question asking what is the MCC but you never know thats why its good to understand the whole thing.

At first I thought the essentials would be about how you are at dealing with people etc but the preplogic test questions I have dissprove that.

5. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

After Mike Meyers I found exam Cram Books good for me.

They come with Measure up test prep CD, also a pull out sheet to read just before taking your exam.
    I'm sure they help me to pass easily with good score!

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK
  6. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Personally I just read the book from cover to cover! Reading both Essentials and IT Technician and then sitting the exams in the same month. Maybe getting A+ Transcender would be an idea, I found them very good and if anything, slightly harder then the real exam! So once you've aced a few exams on that, you know your ready :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  7. Dexter

Dexter Nibble Poster

So taking all that on board I guess there's no real difference in studying for the Essentials and the IT Technician exams, well at least in terms of using the Mikes A+ book. JUst go through the lot!!:rolleyes:

Certifications: A+ N+ MCDST
    WIP: LPIC-1 - HTML - MYSQL
  8. greenbrucelee

Yep 8)