Just starting my new course.

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by johnc86, Sep 20, 2006.

1. johnc86

johnc86 New Member

...its a national diploma it systems support with cisco networking.

What happens is we get all the certificated and then its up to us if we want to take the exam at the end by which time we should be competent enough to.

Was just looking at this though:
    http://www.itjobswatch.co.uk/jobs/uk/ccna.do

£44,591? Christ is that what you can walk into or do you have to have a lot of experience under you belt to get that sort of job (as I presume).

Says though you can make £25 an hour as a contractor which sounds alright.....

Anyway hope you all do well!

I'm going to try and pull out all the stops and get this under my belt. It seems like I have a really good tutor who has been in the industry for donkeys years (i think she may be a ccie).

Take it easy ;-)

2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Good luck John, as for the supposed salary, well take that with a pinch of salt, that is the kind of salary you might achieve one day in the distant future when you have a few years of experience under your belt and have a proven track record and are in demand. It is not a starting salary.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

LOL - categorically no. In addition, I guarandamntee you that you will NOT be earning £25 ph as a contractor. Those days are loooong gone - even experienced network/sys admins are getting an average of around £22 ph at the moment for very complex, demanding roles. Entry level Network/Sys Admin contracting positions in London are paying around £16ph, and entry-level perm roles are salaried at about £25k.

Unfortunately (I sound like a right old doom & gloom merchant), I think I'm pretty safe in saying that you'll need a good 1-2 years' industry experience under your belt before you get one of these roles - there are certainly plenty of them about at the minute but employers have been burned far, far too often in the past six years or so by people with certifications but no experience coming in and either ruining their infrastructure completely or not knowing the first thing about it and doing nothing for three months before being sent packing.

A realistic aim for you when you finish your course would be to look for something in second-line support - paying about £13-£14 ph contract or £20-£22k perm. These are London rates - I;m not sure where you're based, but if you're not looking to work in london you can probably knock some off these rates too depending on the area you'll be looking for.

Good luck with your course - it wouldn't be the Foundation Degree or an HND would it? My HND was excellent and is probably more valuable on my CV than my sodding MS qualifications are!

PS: To give you an idea of just how ridiculous that figure is, I have been in the IT industry for a long time, am reasonably good at what I do and have an excellent CV with bags of varied experience - and I don't earn that figure!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  4. johnc86

johnc86 New Member

well like I sais I presumed that anyway. However its still worth doing this coz ICT will stay on the increase and if I dont do this now Il just waste another 5 years doing nothing so Im going to stick with it. Im sure whatever the starting sallary is will be better than what id make with jack sh.. qualifications!

Cheers lads.