Just started 70-210

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by Clay, Nov 14, 2004.

1. Clay

Clay Bit Poster

:dry

Right chaps and chapesses.... I have just started the whole MCSA route starting with 70-210 of course because win2k is what we are about to use.
    Have registered with a company called LearningIT from Stirling in Scotland. Now logged in to mindleaders course provider for e-learning and am expecting books in post in midweek for 70-210 70-215 70-218 and 70 -228 as I intend to complete MCSE/MCDBA obviously a Database -SQL flavouring (not enough people with this knowledge in IT apparently) so these looked the best way forward.
    I always aim for 100% as that is just my makeup, therefore I like to do a lot and a variety of mock exams before even applying for exam.
    What I need to know is, once I have read the relevant chapters and completed on line learning package:
    What is the best way to test my understanding?
    Mock exams? Where can I find them?
    Does Microsoft set every exam?
    I use win2kPro on study PC and Win XP on laptop both connected to Wireless broadband router which works well. Should I build another PC with Win2k server connected to win2k machine via RJ45 or another wireless card? Will this be overcomplicating matters?

Are there too many questions in this thread?

Hoping for inspiration, excellent knoweldge and advice,
    :eek:

Clay

Certifications: LCGI ECDL AMInstLM MCP
    WIP: MCSA 70-215
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

What is the best way to test my understanding?

Prep tests (many freelly available online)

Mock exams? Where can I find them?
    Transcenders are best by far, but others are freely available - just Google.

Does Microsoft set every exam?

For MCPs, yup

I use win2kPro on study PC and Win XP on laptop both connected to Wireless broadband router which works well. Should I build another PC with Win2k server connected to win2k machine via RJ45 or another wireless card? Will this be overcomplicating matters?

Definitely do it, for the flexibilty it will provide now, and later, and also cos it will be great experience.

HTH :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. Clay

Clay Bit Poster

Thanks Jakamoko.

Its going to take a couple of weeks to wade thru the books so I will google after that.

I think I have an old Pentium based machine around somewhere that I may be able to resurrect. Just need another monitor I think. Might be able to liberate one from works scrap heap.

4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Just thinking - you wouldn't need a dedicated monitor for the server machine, other than to install it. Once installed (install Terminal Services too, btw), you can use XP's Remote Desktop to access it, therefore doing away with the need for a screen.

Nice, huh ? :D

5. Clay

Clay Bit Poster

Ok Easy enough If the server was hardwired to router or wirelessly attached.....but in the interim would it be accessible through Win2k machine if hardwired to that? Presuming it is connected via P2P RJ45 cabling.

6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

All you would need to connect to the server using RDP, regardless of connection type, is either it's computer name, or it's IP - simple as that m8. You just need to make sure Remote Desktop is enabled ot the connesting XP machine, and that you have an Admin account that you can access the machines on the network.

:D

7. Clay

Clay Bit Poster

:eek: How about:

I have found an old case with compaq presario mobo Celeron processor 512Mb RAM 3Gb HDD soundcard and onboard graphics and 3com etherlink LAN card! Do you think I can connect my laptop's USB floppy drive to that and use the old network install to load win2k server on to it? Could be a good exercise don't you think? I am sure the XP laptop has enough spare HDD space for the cabs! or do I use the laptops cd-rom?

8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Great idea, Clay - you could either have the install files on the laptop's HDD, or use it's CD-ROM. I guess, depending in the NIC speed, you'd be better installing from the HDD.

9. Clay

Clay Bit Poster

:dry

I read through the pointy-clicky lesson on remote installs etc on Sunday afternoon, so it hasn't quite sunk in yet.... (and I haven't received the books from my LP yet, just have possibly too much enthusiasm now at least) but I presume I need to boot up with a network boot disk first and I have read that XP Pro isn't bad as a server. So copy disk using ......? i386 folder to hdd on laptop possibly? If it is too long winded dont post more than , GRTFlippingM . Its better to learn that way right so just point me in the right direction and I will do the rest.

Ta in advance!

10. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

11. Clay

Clay Bit Poster

:)

Cheers Jakamoko. That is sufficiently vague. I like a challenge so am going to sign off for now, put the old wreck back together and see how it pans out. Probably post a reply wedsnesday after rugby if I can summon up the willpower after a couple of bevvies.

L8r

12. Clay

Clay Bit Poster

Think this is going to end up more of a blog.......

Built the old machine and installed win2k server 120 day eval but haven't done much in the way of setting up the network.

Installed a wireless card for this too and ensured that it can access my previous workgroup so I now know that they all interact correctly. Next step to configure server as pdc and reconfig clients (one of which runs xp pro). Possibly enable dhcp on the server instead of letting the router do it.

Now that the machines are all up I will continue through the books until I need to connect them all as a network/domain rather than a workgroup.

I am taking it steady for now and plodding through everything although all I have come across so far has not taught me anything new as I am still on the learning about file systems, file parameters and access permissions etc.

Will update as I progress...especially if I get stuck!!

:oops:

13. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Looking good Clay, keep going and post any problems you might get. :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  14. Clay

Clay Bit Poster

Right, it's been a while but I am still plodding through Win2k OS book sent by LearningIT and e-learning modules. 75% completed. I expected to go on the 3 day course next month to get a practical stand point on the info but it has been delayed due to lack of numbers.

Here's the question bit.... On consultation with QA.com, they expect that anybody who completes their 3day course can be expected to pass the exam 70-210!!! Is this likely? Has anyone been on a 3 dayer and taken the exam? There seems to be a lot to take in just by looking at the size of the books!

Hope someone can allay my fears and can say that it is not so much easy but do-able!!!!

:cry: